Chapter One: IN WHICH Things Become More Difficult to Explain

Friday, September 14th, Thirteen Years Later

Kea sat at her desk, laptop open and lips pressed into a thin, firm line. She hated online school – hated it with all the energy she had – but if she was going to keep Albinan in order, she had to stay home. It had been the hardest decision she had ever made. She typed her name on the first assignment: Kaylie E. Alton.

She frowned and folded her hands on top of the mousepad. She couldn't figure out what felt wrong with this picture. The quiet was fine; the air was warm and pleasant through the open window. So what...

"Keeper! Lady Keeper!"

She turned toward the window, red hair whipping around her neck. She stood up and made her way to the birds sitting on her windowsill. "What are you doing here?" she hissed, touching one of them. "You know if my father comes up here and finds you, he'll lock me up. This had better be important..."

The bird bobbed its head, nodding. "Yes! Yes!" it chirped. "Keeper, the fairies in the forest. They're dying."

Kea shook her head. "That can't be right. Fairies don't just drop and die. Is there something in the air that's causing it? Or maybe in their food or drink?"

"No, Lady Keeper. We've asked Queen Avanelle the same thing, and she has not seen or partaken of anything that has been poisoned or tainted in any way."

She growled, raising a hand to her chin. "Then there's something else going on," she muttered. "Have you asked any of the other creatures? Who else might know what's going on?"

The birds twittered amongst themselves for a moment, and then the lead one turned its attention back to Kea. "Some of us have gone to the Dark Quarter, to see if they knew anything. Only two of them returned, and the other three are gone. The two that have returned didn't get any useful information out of the creatures they questioned."

"Well, where are the other three? What happened to them?"

The bird shook its head. "We... don't know," it admitted, sadness and shame turning its tinny voice dark. "We haven't been able to find any trace of them. We fear the worst."

Kea growled again, muttering a mild curse under her breath. "Okay. Fine. So assuming that I do believe this, what do you expect me to do about it? If no one understands what's going on, I'm not going to be able to do much."

"We were hoping you could find Queen Avanelle and help her tend to the dying. There are many fairies that need your help, and there may be other creatures dying that we haven't been able to see." The bird hopped onto her finger, and then up to her shoulder. "Please, Lady Keeper..."

She sighed, raising a finger for the bird to jump to. She set the bird on the sill. "Alright, alright. Let me finish what I'm working on, and I'll meet you by the birdfeeders on the edge of the forest. Until then, let me try to figure out what's going on." She turned and grabbed her jacket from the back of her chair.

"Kea..."

She jumped and looked to see her father standing in the doorway, one hand on the door handle. Worry made lines in his forehead and around his eyes.

She cleared her throat, trying to expel the dryness that had settled there. "Dad. I, uh..." She coughed. "I know what this probably looks like, but I can explain..." She looked back at the birds and jerked her head, telling them to go. "Get out!" she mouthed, jerking one more time.

The birds flew away, chittering as they went.

Kyle Alton walked across the room and shut the window. He pressed his hands to the sill. "What were you doing, Kea? Talking to the birds?" he asked. He looked over his shoulder at her.