Chapter Seven: IN WHICH Kea Loses Too Many Allies

Avanelle landed in the center of the Dark Quarter, next to the onyx altar. She looked around, covering her mouth and nose with the back of her hand. She would never get used to the smell. It would always bother her, with the smell of death and decay. She was a fairy; she was a creature of life, not death. And she should never have become a darkling.

She took a deep breath and walked farther, deeper into the darkness. Her wings fluttered out behind her, shivering in her nervousness. She hated going to talk to Dameon. Every second of it was like hot pokers being shoved into her chest and coming out the other side. And when he was angry...

The tree that had once kept him locked up was splintered, like it had been blown apart by lightning from the inside. In the wreckage, a pale man lay with his arms straight at his sides. His eyes were closed, and his chest, tattooed with a black and red pentacle, barely moved. He looked dead, and not for the first time, Avanelle wished he was.

"Lord Dameon," she whispered, touching his shoulder. "I am here to report, sir. Wake up."

His eyes flicked open, and he grabbed her wrist and pulled her into the tree with him. "Why do you insist on waking me?" he hissed, snaking his free arm around her waist and pulling her to his chest. "Could you not have waited until I woke up naturally?"

She pushed herself off of him and stood. "I thought you wanted me to report as soon as something came up," she snarled.

He rolled his eyes, and then stared straight into her eyes, like he was reading her soul. "What do you want, fairy girl?" he asked, standing and folding his arms.

She relaxed her hands at her sides. "We have a problem. You know that Laconis I told you about? The one working with the Keeper?"

"Yes, I remember. What about him?"

She swallowed. "He is proving to be a lot more of a pain than previously thought."

He sneered. "So take care of him."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"He..." Her voice cracked, and she cleared her throat. "He is important to her. To kill him could be the death of her. And I will not be the cause of that."

He paused, and then his lips split in a wicked grin. "That important, hm?"

"I fear she may be in love with him."

He laughed. "Really?" he whispered. "This information could prove more useful than anything you've ever brought to me."

She closed her eyes and fought back her tears. "Please... I can't do this."

He stepped closer to her. "Have you made sure that she's not a threat?" he asked, cocking his head.

"Of... Of sorts, sir." She winced as he growled. "I've done what I can."

He grabbed her by the neck and lifted her off the ground. As she gasped and clawed at his hand, he growled, "What do you mean, 'of sorts,' Avanelle? Either you have, or you haven't. Simple as that." He threw her to the ground. "So what does 'of sorts' entail?"

She rubbed her throat and controlled her breathing. Her lungs hurt from struggling so hard. "I've been keeping her busy with... with the sick creatures. She hasn't had time to look into what you're doing."

His eyes hardened, and she cringed. "That's not enough."

"Isn't it?" she hissed. "I've been making sure she can't get to you."