Chapter One

Captain Mirafuentes silently watched as the fighters took their places in the Lion's Mane. The arena was filled with people who had come to see the Dynamic Duo in action; in fact, it was why the captain had come as well. She looked around the Lion's Mane while the fighters were getting prepared. Shaped like an arena from the olden times, it had a quaint rustic feel to it. The fighting area itself was huge, capable of accomodating over a hundred fighters. Rows of seats surrounded the area, towering over 50 feet tall. The captain glanced at the betting stations, where businessmen and beggars alike placed bets and hands exchanged money. She had little love for gamblers and despised them wholeheartedly. From what she heard, the King of the Arena would obliterate the competition anyway. The other half of the Dynamic Duo, the Melee Queen, would act as his support in the upcoming fight. Although it was a free-for-all, the two always fought together. She found herself wondering if this "king" would live up to his reputation.

She looked around the fighting area and spotted the King's lion mane. According to its rules, only the top fighter would be allowed to wear the famed lion's mane. Looking at him, the captain could see why he wore it. Tall and muscular, the King had no weapons with him. Tattoos covered his arms and his sides, wrapping around his back. He had a cool demeanor despite the pressure of the fight about to happen. There was a calm aura about him, a quiet confidence that assured him of his victory. Beside him was a completely different story in the Melee Queen. The captain could practically see the energy coming from her. She was hopping around the King, giddy with excitement for the battle that was about to come. Wrapped around her chest and waist were cloths that left little to the imagination; however, the captain knew that anything more would impede her movements. She was not as muscular as the King, but lithe and quick as a rabbit. Leaping from one place to another, the Queen exuded a different confidence than her partner. Where the King was calm and quietly confident, she was bubbly and made no effort to conceal her strength. The captain realized that the bunny ears were authentic: the Melee Queen was part-bunny, part-human. That would explain the legs, she thought.

A horn snapped her back from her reverie. The fight was starting, and sure enough, the King went to work. The Dynamic Duo tore through the fighters with ease, perfectly complementing each other's fighting style. Captain Mirafuentes noted the speed and strength of the Melee Queen, patching up holes in the King's defense. The King, in his own right, held his own quite well. Favoring quick, powerful strikes, he danced among his opponents and leapt out of trouble gracefully. Within seconds, their competition was left to bite the dust. Emerging victorious, the King let out a lion's roar as the Queen hopped about excitedly. The roar was answered by the spectators, "King! King! King!" The captain watched as the King of the Arena grabbed the Melee Queen's hand and raised it up high in victory. The chants of "King! King! King!" quickly turned into "Queen! Queen! Queen!" until finally, the noise died down enough for the duo to exit the arena. "Not bad," the captain thought to herself as she quietly slipped away from the crowd. She found a hiding place and patiently waited for the two. "Now we'll see if they can handle me."

----------

"Oh, oh, and did you see when I kicked that guy in the face? He flew, like, so far! And did you see what I did to that guy in the wacky wolf armor? I was like 'BAM' and he got knocked out! And oh did you see how I..."

The King of the Arena listened as the Melee Queen talked about the previous battle. He knew what happened, of course. He was there, right beside her as they fought through their opponents. Left without a choice, he listened and nodded to what the Queen was saying.

"GROWL," something said.

"What was that?" the Queen wondered, annoyed by the interruption.