Chapter 4 (•‿•)

Ian and I jumped into the car with me driving. After backing out of the driveway, I locked the doors just in case Ian attempted to escape my questioning.

         "Ian, what were you going to tell me?" I asked. He looked at me confused. Then he must have realized what I was talking about because his face became hard.

         "Nothing," he shrugged. He looked away from my narrowed eyes and out the passenger window.

         "Ian, it's obviously something if you brought it up," I reminded him, making a valid point. 

         "Em, I don't want to ruin your-" Ian started.

         "Again with the Chase thing! Let me learn from my own mistake, Ian," I practically begged him, "Please. I need to learn from my own mistakes."

         "You're right. That's exactly what I was going to say," Ian murmured. I looked away from the road to look at him and then back to the road. No, that wasn't it.

         "You're lying."

         "No, it is, Em, you were right," he insisted. For some reason I didn't believe him. There was more to this. I just didn't know how I could get it out of him.

         "Emily!" He shouted, I brought my eyes back to the road, and slammed on my brakes seeing what he saw.

         After coming to a fast stop, my hand shot to his. "Are you okay?" I asked, still recovering my breath.

         "Dandy," he smiled at me as he interlocked our fingers. Blushing, I looked back at the road. Stupid raccoon. The damn thing froze. I looked at the damn thing and shook my head, annoyed with it's still frozen state. Ian started rubbing circles on my hand and I was reminded my hand was still in his.

         "I need my hand back," I told him, as the raccoon slowly began walking again towards the other side of the road.

         "I know something else your hand should be doing," he winked at me, as he brought his and my hand to his stomach.

         "No, no, no, stop you pervert," I quickly said, "I wonder what Eric will do when he hears about this!" He immediately let go of my hand and held both his up in surrender.

         "No, don't tell Eric!" He frantically said, "I was just kidding, Em!" Panic was obvious in his voice. The raccoon finally made it across the road, and I started driving again.

         "Why do you always get freaked out by Eric?" I asked, "You're buffer and stronger than him!"

         "Because he's scary when he's mad," he jokingly whispered loudly. I rolled my eyes and focused on the road.

         "Can I ask you something?" He asked, breaking the awkward silence that surrounded us a few minutes later.

         "Of course."

         "What would you do if I died?" He asked. I looked at him worriedly. Why was he asking me this? 

         "Ian, are you okay-"

         "Em, I'm not suicidal or anything. I'm just wondering," he explained, "What would you do?"

         "I'd cry for days," I answered honestly, "You're like my therapist. I'd be so lost."

         "Cut the bull shit, Em, I'm serious."

         "I really would cry for days. You're one of my best friends. I'd really miss you."