Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

It took everything in me to focus on the road. All I could think about was Tamryn, was she ok? Would she remember me? Would she live?

No I wouldn’t go there. I couldn’t. Her face was the only thing holding me together now. I tried to speak, anything to distract me and her sisters from the pain and instantly a lump formed in my throat, and my eyes swelled with tears, when did we get here? 

All I felt was pain in my heart, it was all my fault. I let her leave, I let her go and I didn’t look back. 

I ran nearly every red light, not caring at this point in time. I needed to be there for her at the hospital, even if it meant clashing with her boyfriend. I needed to see her. 

When we finally reached the hospital after fifteen long minutes, I jumped out of the car, opening the door for Nash and Simone. Somehow I was growing increasing impatient at their slow pace, but I had to remind myself that they were in shock unlike me. My adrenaline was pumping, I wanted answers, I needed some to take control over the situation. I needed to know desperately so I could comfort her sisters and tell them everything was ok. 

Just then someone’s hand rested on my shoulder, I looked over to see Nash telling me to go ahead. With that, I sprinted through the hospital asking where to go from reception, they directed me down another corridor, where ‘EMERGENCY’ was marked above the door sill, I knew I was there. 

I was met by a nurse, petite and quite flirty. I would have notice and even appreciated it when it was a normal day but Tamryn’s life was at stake and I needed to know what was going on. 

The nurse told me to sit and wait until the doctor wasn’t occupied and could tell me the news. Minutes, turned into hours, I hadn’t even noticed that Simone and Nash were now beside me. I was lost in my own thoughts. 

Just then Simone started to cry hysterically, and nurses flocked the waiting room. 

“Sir, if you don’t calm her down, we may have to sedate her” The nurse told me with alarming eyes. I looked at Nash desperately. 

She gave me an exasperated look and I realized she was trying to do the best she could. As they advanced towards her with the needle I realized that she had quiet down.

I felt like screaming as well, the waiting drove me crazy. I didn’t know anything, we didn’t know anything. And as time went on Simone went mad, and they eventually sedated her. I didn’t see the whole mess, somehow I was checked out, physically I was there but mentally, I was lost. Nash brought me back, violently shaking my arm as a woman with a tight pony tail, glasses and bags under her eyes stood in front of us. 

I assumed she was the doctor. 

“You are the relatives of a Ms. Tamryn Robinson?” She asked, her voice hoarse, you could see she was physically exhausted. 

We both nodded, Nash was suddenly holding on to my arm for dear life. I took her hand off my arm and holding it in my own and wrapping my free arm around her, giving her a reassuring look. Her eyes grew wide with alarm before she warmed to me. We took a deep breath and nodded at the doctor to continue. 

“Tamryn was in a very bad accident, she was hit from the side. Upon impact she broke three ribs. When the car spun out of control, she suffered a head injury. We were able to repair the damage but because of the severity of the injuries, we have put her into a medically induced coma” 

“Wha-What does that mean?” Nash said through tears that now streamed her face. 

“It means we have purposely put her to sleep, so that she can recover. Just until the swelling of her brain goes down” The doctor began to rub her temples, obviously the surgeries she performed were taxing.