Chapter 2: A Plan (hopefully)

Poe crept down the dimly light hallway, contemplating a counter attack.

He ran his hand along the hall, buttons and knobs lighting up at random. A beep sounded from inside his room, and he curiously hit the pulsing button with his fist.

What if they died? What would happen then? Would I become a fighter pilot for the Resistance?

He paused, staring down the foreboding hallway.

'Surely not,' he thought as the door to his room hissed open, reveling the chaos inside: upturned waste baskets, an unmade bed, and rumpled paper scattered haphazardly across the gleaming metal floor.

A lone droid, orange and white, rolled along the ground, upturning more boxes and models. It tilted it's head toward Poe as if to say:

'I know what you did.'

Poe shot BB-8 a disgruntled look and shrugged his shoulders, running a hand through his coarse, dark hair.

"Look buddy, I did what I had to."

Agitated, he plopped down on his Hover Chair and leaned back, trying to simulate a plan in his mind. A foolproof one, an unbeatable one to keep his parents from trying to succeed in this impossible quest.

None came.

He sighed hopelessly, his futile half-plans fleeing from the corners of his mind. His parents were loyal and dedicated to a fault, it was one of the thing he loved and partially hated about them. Willing to die for a cause they believed in, and both of they were fiercely protective of their son, whom they loved.

But sometimes Poe almost felt as if they tossed him away for their hectic yet astonishingly breathtaking feats of endangerment. Mostly, he lived with his grandfather, spending his time waiting in agonizingly long periods of time for his parents to come back from their adventures. They always came with a new tale to tell him.

'How is this any different?' Poe thought as he tapped his outstretched hand on the table, his mind working at a mile a minute. The truth was: in principle, it was just alike. Parents go on great adventure. They come back.

In reality? Well that was a different story. And that's how he came up with a plan.

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Poe woke up before light even appeared on the horizon, rousing early to carry out the stages of his plan. He didn't believe it was an extremely notable plan by any means, but it was a plan nonetheless.

He yawned, and dressed in a plain black shirt that was the color of charcoal. A plain, forgettable pair of beige pants, and a worn pilot's jacket given to him by his dad when Poe was 9.

He remembered his dad smiling fondly down at his son as he presented it to him and placed it on his shoulders. Despite it being well past his knees and draping Poe's narrow shoulders like a blanket, he always knew he was meant to wear it.

His dad, Kes Dameron, smiled -which he rarely did anymore- causing his eyes to crinkle with joy at his son's pleasure. He also glanced at his mom with a look that plainly said, 'He'll grow into it, he's a brave boy.'

"Son, whenever you want to give up, remember this, and don't back down." Kes said as he patted Poe on the shoulder...

Poe's head snapped up, jarring him into reality. Light now filled the unkempt room; he realized just how much time had passed since he succumbed to a flashback.

      Shaking his head to clear it, he glided down the hallway, just as all the other residents were starting to wake. Then, pushed open the panel to the control room.

      General Leia stood in the middle of the room, staring at one of the meaningless map holograms, casting blue shadows across her face, which was etched in lines of stress and fatigue. But also underneath it all: happiness somehow.

         She raised her head when Poe entered, and her face brightened suddenly. Almost like a sunny day after a particularly rough patch of storms.

        Poe wondered if that was a reflex. Maybe she just did it out of habit when someone entered, and tried to conceal her unease.

       "Poe, what brings you here?"

        Poe held his hand up in a 'Stop' gesture.

        "Please General Leia, I know what's happening. It's no use to lie, I heard everything. Don't try to deny it."

        She drooped like a wilted flower, her posture sagging under the weight of it all: the Resistance, The New Order, her son.

         "Fine, Poe I won't deny it: The New Order is rising. And we have to stop it before it kills us all."

         Poe stood in place, dumbfounded with shock.

         "They want to kill us? I thought they only wanted to bring down the Republic!"

          "We stand for they Republic, Poe. They fund us; that's how we get our ships. If they want to destroy the Republic, they want to destroy us right along with it."

He jerks back in bewilderment. "What about my parents? What will happen to them?"

Leia's eyes darkened, like she just realized how much Poe had heard.

"They will fulfill they're duty. They always have, this is no different."

Poe shook it head in displeasure, his mind screaming terrible things.

"This. Is. A. Death. Trap. It's totally different."

"It's for the good of the galaxy, you must understand that. There is always a chance that they will come back from this mission." Leia spoke without losing any shred of her dignity or controlled demeanor.

Poe sighed, flustered beyond consoling.

"You know that they won't come back Leia!"

Leia hung her head, seeming guilty.

"Poe, I understand how you feel, I really do. My brother, Luke Skywalker, always left on harrowing journeys. I didn't know if he would come back either, but he always did. You just never know."

Poe stomped away frustrated, and angry at himself.

What am I going to do now?

The truth was: he would just have to keep trying without giving up.

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Hey guys, enjoying the fanfic so far? If so, please comment! Also, if you have any suggestions or saw any errors, please tell me!:) And wow! This chapter took a while to write, but it was totally worth it! (1,000 words) Hope your all having a great day!! Also, thanks to illiterate-writer for the tips on writing!
~ W.M.S