Chemistry

I looked a lot more excited to see Angela the next day than she did, which was concerning. We did chemistry together and when I put my hand up to partner with her, she didn't look as happy as I would have hoped.

"Dude," said Zach, my friend I was sitting next to. "Chill."

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, Justin Bieber, it's looking a lot like you want her to be your Baby." he continued. Even I could recognise how disastrously bad that pun was, but I still didn't understand what he meant.

"Is there a problem with that?" I asked. "That's the truth, so it makes sense that it does."

"Alex!" he shout-whispered.

"What?" I shout-whispered back.

"She might not share those feelings. Don't creep her out!" he shout-whispered back to me. I looked up and noticed she was looking at me, some form of confusion on her face. Metaphorically, of course. Confusion is an abstract noun, so it can't literally go on top of someone's face.

I walked up to the bench where Angela was standing. At least now she was smiling.

"What was that about?" she laughed.

"Um..." I started. I don't like lying but I didn't know how to answer. Thankfully, she just laughed harder. "Why are you laughing?" I asked. She paused, looked up at me, then shook her head.

"Don't worry, Alex, it's hard to explain." she said, calming down and patting my shoulder. I was kind of annoyed by that because that is a social context I'm not used to and she was definitely not helping me understand it.

"So what are we doing? I wasn't listening" I said, looking at the board to figure out what it was that I missed.

"Extracting suspended solids from a sample of river water. Easy stuff, just revision." she answered, setting up a Bunsen burner. I reached under the bench and retrieved a tripod and gauze. I noticed she was talking more freely than last night. Whether it was because of our conversation or just because she likes chemistry, I wasn't sure. I felt like maybe I was getting somewhere either way.

"I'll go get a sample." I said to her, then immediately walked over to Adelaide.

"What's up?" she asked as I approached her bench.

"I think I'm getting somewhere with Angela." I answered. "Talk to you at recess."

"Alright." she responded, turning back to her experiment. She and her chemistry partner exchanged a look as I walked off.

I came back with the sample, placing it on the bench.

"Thanks." she said, taking it and pouring it into a beaker. "Turn on the Bunsen burner." I was more than happy to oblige.

We stood there, waiting for the water to evaporate, silent. After almost exactly ten minutes with only a few shared words about the experiment, I spoke.

"I like your hair today" I said. I usually don't compliment people but this was a special case.

"Thanks" she replied.

"I mean, I liked it yesterday too, and most other days too, but also today" I added.

"Don't worry, I got what you meant" she said, turning to go get her books to write down results. I stood there, slightly perplexed as to what to do. Eventually class ended so I cleaned and packed away all the equipment from our experiment, collected my books, and left the classroom.