4. Coming to Town (part 2)

Cristina stared at her brother. His eyes were awfully dull. He was staring aimlessly out of the window while they drove to Sunizona. Guilt was sliding over her as she thought about his earlier words. She wondered if something happened between the two.

Something always happened, but this time it felt worse. She sighed and Derrick turned to her almost sensing her thoughts.

"I don't want to talk about it." Derrick said as he stared at the clouds floating above them.

"I said I was sorry. I didn't mean for you two to get into a fight." Cristina spoke honestly her voice soft.

"It's doesn't make a difference, I don't want to think about it right now." He repeated staring at his sister and shrugging.

"He's right who wants to talk about his love life. It bearly exists as it is." Terrance added in as he turned to his siblings in the back of the car."Let the guy be."

Terrance words stung a little and Derrick tried to hide it as he turned back to the window.

Rachel the youngest out of the family hit Terrance upside his head." At least he can keep a girl. When's the last time you interacted with the female species?"

Terrance rubbed his head."None of your buisness ugly."

Rachel scoffed." You've got some nerve calling me ugly with that face." Rachel pointed at Terrance.

Cristina laughed a little. She turned to her brother once again but he seemed determined to be left alone. With a heavy sigh she ripped her eyes away from him and stared at the bickering boy and girl she knew to be her siblings.

She sighed softly as she silenty hoped the driver would get them to town quickly. Their employer had called for an emergency meeting. She knew something was wrong. They had to arrive to town before Midnight.

******

The room was quiet. Deadly quiet. You could hear a pin drop if you wanted to. No doubt that there was a heavy weight of tension. The coldness of the office only made it worse. It was like the temperature was sinking into your skin. Samuel's eyes was sinking into their skins. They could feel it.

Midnight's dark eyes looked at the man, really loooked at him. His usually polished fringe hung down to his eyebrows. Dark circles, very light dark circles adorned his face. His shoulders were sagged and his back slouched as he stared at the group.

That's when Midnight saw it that restless, strained, regretful look that swirled in his eyes. It was like someone backhanded her. Mr.Samuel has lost his child. She didn't forget but she also didn't remember when she caused a scene. If it was her fault or not didn't matter what mattered is that Samuel already had his hands full.

The encounter they had at thhe hotel slipped into her thoughts. She had acted recklessly because of her feeling. It was her third day in the town and everything about her was off. Her mind was relentless and wondered to places and things she'd love to forget.

"I'm sorry." Midnight being the brave girl she was spoke up." I'm sorry for everything."

"What are you talking ab-"

"Back at the hotel I wasn't me. I swear I didn't mean to hurt you like that or disrespect you. I'm sorry for today too. I was being childish and didn't think about what would happen on your part." She finished quickly.

She chanced a glance at Samuel. A look of shock and confusion was plastered on his face.

Randy and Victoria stared at each other and then at Midnight and Samuel. Samuel after a few seconds gathered his thoughts and decided to speak.