Chapter 1

Callie
I emerge from the thick brush and stare at the house in front of me.  The dark of the night keeps most of the house concealed but the parts that were visible were not in good shape. The windows were almost all broken with vines crawling up the sides and cracks everywhere in the cement walls.  I continue to stare at the house considering the pit in my stomach as Blair emerges behind me.

"Alright, are you ready for this?" Blair asks. But I do not respond, instead I continue to examine the house.

"Callie? Talk to me. We have to act fast."

"I...I don't know. Something feels wrong."

"You're just nervous because it's a big mission, but we have done this a million times before. We can do this but we have to move now."

I snaps out of my daze and look to Blair. I stare into her blue eyes for the comfort that I always find when I need it most. She wore skinny jeans that she tried to keep as neat as possible and a purple sweater that was a little too small for her, but she pulled it off, along with lace flats that had the word TOMS written on the back. I have no idea how Blair wore her nice outfits with all the missions they did, but if it worked for Blair, I was not going to complain. I on the other hand took the opposite approach.  I wore a dark green tee shirt with some band name on it but it was so worn out that I have no idea what band it was, however I do know that I like the design and that it fits me, so it works just fine.  I also have on ripped and baggy blue jeans that were a little too long so I have to roll them up at the end, along with black sneakers. My brown eyes match my brown hair that is always up in a ponytail to keep it out of my way. Blair's blond straight hair bounced side to side as she shifted from one foot to the next. I couldn't tell whether it was because she was anxious or excited for the mission but it didn't matter either way, we had to get moving.

"You're right, the Council is counting on us. Let's move."

Baron
I stood facing Theo with his hands outstretched as Theo places his hands on top of mine, holding the book. It was flipped open to a page with words and letters that were unfamiliar to me, but if it was going to fix the curse like Theo said, I didn't care what was in the book.
Theo began to recite the unfamiliar spell when I heard voices in the distance. Even though I don't want to be a monster for the rest of my life, I will miss these enhanced abilities like hearing.
As I listen more closely I hear what sounds like two women having a conversation.

"Callie? Talk to me. We have to act fast."       

"I...I don't know. Something feels wrong."    

"You're just nervous because it's a big mission..."

"Theo!"

I try to call out to my brother but Theo is busy reciting his spell to pay much attention.

"Theo listen to me! There are people outside, the Council probably sent them, we have to do this quick." I warn.

"Then stop interrupting me and let me focus." Theo mumbles with a slight growl in his voice, but his eyes remain closed.
I continue to listen in on the women.

"Hey Blair, can you read the message the Council sent us where they describe the subjects."

"Yeah hold on let me find it."
I hear the footsteps roaming around downstairs.

"It just reads two male demons, years 25 of age, blood born, very experienced. Sounds exhilarating. No wonder the Council has been chasing these guys down for...how long?"

"I think it's been about 20 years."

"No wonder they want them so bad, blood born is very rare and very dangerous."

"Why is it dangerous. It's just as bad as any other demon."

"No not quite, blood borns have more experience and natural ability than people who are turned, since they grow up learning how to be a demon rather than learning after being human for a long time..."

"I think it's clear down here, let's go upstairs."

I hear the footsteps move quickly up the steps.

"Theo..."

"Shut it I'm almost there."
The footsteps stop near the top of the steps and I hear them speak again.

"Blair do you hear that?"

"They are doing a spell! Quickly, that room!"
I hear the door fling open behind me as Theo's words speed up and get louder. I hear one of the girls shouting.

"Stop! Under orders of the Council you are under arrest!"
I turn around to see a girl with straight blonde hair and a sweater standing at the door, but most of my attention is directed to the girl running towards me. She had on a green tee shirt and her brown hair was pulled back into a ponytail. My mouth opens with shock as I stared, partially because I was worried the spell wouldn't finish and partially because of the girl herself.  Then, so many things happened at once I was snapped out of my shock. The girl standing in the doorway began to shout as the spell was completed.

"CALLIE NO!"
Just then I was thrown back with such force that my hands slipped from underneath Theo's and I was thrown across the room right before the world went dark.