Chapter 16

"Another one... This is getting out of hand way too quickly, Mordon."

"Look Lo, there's not much I can do for her except provide animal-grade sedatives whenever she loses it. You know better than anyone that this was bound to happen sooner or later."

"So what, it's my fault now?"

"Hasn't it always been?"

Letting out a deep breath, the sound of Apollo's footsteps pacing back and forth across the room left a bitter sense of unease. I had been awake for the past few minutes; although I actually wasn't awake at all. I was in a comatose state –or paralysis as people would say- and could hear every sound, every word.

"What do you expect me to do?"

"I don't know; chill out and fix your face! You're lucky you synthetics can go and have the 'tissue' reconstructed and replaced without worrying too much about a 'new' look."

"Like that's gonna help all our problems!"

"Just. . . don't push her over the edge all the time man. We're losing Siven quicker than we thought we would and if we don't maintain this, it's gonna get outta control real quick."

"Maybe if you two thought more about a way to fix this and less about a way to aggravate it, we wouldn't have to worry about her getting worse."

"We were trying to uncover what's going in Avesty Falls while you were making family troubles. This isn't a competition about who could fuck up the city even more!"

"It feels like you two are trying to pin every, single, fucking problem on me! Mordon, I thought we're friends; brothers and then. . . all this fucking shit happens and suddenly we're enemies!"

"Maybe you should just stop looking for family in criminals!"

"Maybe you should just stop looking for a way to bring back your family!"

Silence.

"Maybe you should just put her down."

Silence.

Shock.

Anger.

"What the fuck did you just say?"

"Put. Her. Down. It's better for all of us that way."

"Get out, Leonard, we're done here. I don't wanna see your fucking shredded cabbage face around here again."

"Mo-"

"Now."

The sound of defeat could be heard as it rung deep inside my ears, the bell toll signalling the end of what was once the greatest gay bromance story to have ever surfaced during our time. Apollo's feet shuffled away at first before progressing to an actual walk as he exited the room and hopefully, the building as well.

"It had to be done, Lo. We're just. . . not seeing eye-to-eye enough right now."

Those words left a pang in both our chests; the heaviness of Mordon's head and heart were felt in my own but despite the immense amount of pain he was feeling, I couldn't even get up to crack a crappy joke in the hopes that he would be sunny-side up again.

----------------

"You were out for a couple of hours but you should be fine now. I've checked your vitals and everything else so you should be okay. I've also done some other scans to make sure that we don't have to worry too much about rising toxin levels."