Dan's POV

I sat there, glaring at the tiny, indigo box in my palm. Running my thumb backwards and forwards across the smooth velvet cover, I looked up to gaze blankly at the wall opposite me. The room - my room - is, in fact, full of colour, but at that moment? Nothing. All I saw was faded whites. Everything had rushed away from me, as though I were the centre of the galaxy and the stars spun far and wide, propelled by my... my... nothing. There is nothing at all. The box in my hand holds not the ring that I thought it did, but bitter rejection and salty tears - as, without consent, they were falling thick and fast, down my cheeks, into my lap and the box.
And suddenly, I let myself go. I allowed myself to sob uncontrollably, my shoulders shuddering like miniature earthquakes. I let myself wholeheartedly weep into my hands, sobs wracking my body, tears staining my cheeks, yet not making a sound.
Was this happening? I couldn't, I wouldn't, believe it... but I also couldn't change it - surely not? I'd left it too late, by all means; the wedding was in one week, and Phil was still oblivious to my feelings.
But I had to try. I had to let him know. I, I couldn't let this go, not without a fight...
Gulping great mouthfuls of air, filling my lungs til I coughed, I gained some control over myself. It was about time that Phil, my best friend of all time, Phil, the love of my life, knew about how I shattered each time he laughed and I couldn't hold him, each time he grinned and I couldn't stroke the creases in his cheeks. It was about time that Phil, the only one I wanted, knew that that was who is was.
I skulked out of my room and to his door. As I watched him there, laptop on his desk, scrolling through endless feeds, I couldn't help staring. His furrowed brow as he concentrated, then the release of pressure as he laughed; the was he smiled, not just at one corner of his mouth, but all the way, a great sunny grin that lit the world right up. He was an angel in that moment, as sun beamed through the window onto his back.
Without me realising it, tears had begun to fall again. I worked myself up to the moment, this moment, I had to say it, one word -
"Phil," I choked out softly, and as he turned towards me, my stomach performed somersaults and I knew, I knew, this was the moment that would either make us or break us.