Chapter 28

Saturday night was destined to be awkward.

Awkward exes.
Awkward boyfriends.
Awkward engaged couples.
Awkward tipsy mother.

Wait.

Jackie stared at Janet Bouvier across the courtyard. Three flutes of bliss induced champagne and the giddy mother was practically throwing herself on her future in-law.

"Oh, Marie, just think, our children together!"

Marie Billings smile was nervous. "Quite amazing, yes. Lee is a wonderful girl. Oh!" Janet had pulled her in for an uncomfortable hug, catching Lem's mother by surprise.

You smell so good. Chanel No. 5? Vintage, I love that," Janet winked, tipping her glass.

Marie cleared her throat, "Thank you." She smoothed the hem of her blouse and looked around.

John Bouvier, ever the silent lurker, appeared at Jackie's side as she shook with laughter. He murmured into her ear, "I think your mother's flirting."

"Yeah," grinned Jackie, "I think it's a certifiable girl crush. Poor Mrs. Billings."

"She may not come home tonight." John removed his glasses and polished a lens with his shirt cuff, glancing around. "Where's your boy? Ran off already?"

"Nah. He's talking to Lem about writing music," Jackie leaned against the rail of the deck. "Apparently Billings Sr. used to be a music teacher. Did you know that?"

"Please. Nobody keeps me in the loop anymore," John muttered. "You could say the man's the ambassador of Sweden and I wouldn't be able to argue. By the way," he elbowed his daughter lightly, "there's your guy now."

She looked up. Will was making his way across the courtyard, happy and at ease, when Janet suddenly kissed him stoutly on the cheek. He jolted back in shock. Jackie started giggling.

"A new man. That's my cue," said John. He left her with a kiss on the forehead and Jackie smiled after him. Will showed up a minute later.

"Did you see that?" he asked incredulously, raking a hand through his hair.

"Sorry," Jackie grinned, "my mom's attracted to everybody tonight."

"Everybody, huh?" Will laughed, leaning against the rail.

"Yep," she straightened his shirt collar, "but especially cute scruffy musicians with big brown eyes. Just saying."

Will smiled and pulled her close. "You're kind of cute yourself. Let me guess. Borrowed a dress from Lee?"

Jackie frowned and looked down. She had filched a pretty belted green dress from her sister's closet and paired it with her own black slouchy boots and a leather jacket. "No."

"Come on," Will smirked, "you only own jeans and blouses. And college sweatshirts." He had been playing with a strand of her hair and suddenly lurched back, "Don't hit me."

"No promises, Holden."

Will smiled and looked out across the lawn. Jackie cocked her head, looking out too. She had spent an entire afternoon with Lee and Lem, stringing multicolored outdoor lights across the patio. The warm light brought out the hues of all the scattered leaves around them. It was pretty. Glasses of wine and old school Ella Fitzgerald complimented the atmosphere.

Jackie spotted Lee leaning out across the glass sliding door that separated the deck and the kitchen. Lem was on the opposite end of the threshold, an apron tied around his waist. He was holding a tower of paper cups and Lee took one and perched it on top of his head. She snorted and Lem kissed the corner of her mouth.

Jackie smiled. Her hand was in will's, and she didn't remember when he had reached out.

"I uh," he looked down for a second, "I have something kind of important to talk to you about tonight."

"Yeah?" Jackie smiled. "Let's just not argue about Batman villains again. Because Poison Ivy is a total whore and you really can't say anything."

"No, not that, Jackie," laughed Will. "Think bigger."

She bit her lip. "Spiderman villains?"

"Nope." A pause. "It's something I want to ask you."

His eyes were suddenly on hers. Jackie pressed her lips together.

"Not now though," Will promised. He kissed her hand before he let it drop to her side. "Don't run off." He smiled. "Love you."

"I—"

"I'll be back."

Will left her at the patio, and she watched him disappear back inside the house. Jackie closed her eyes and sighed, leaning her forehead on the railing.

Someone close by cleared their throat; Jacqueline grudgingly looked up.

A svelte woman with perfectly coifed blonde ringlets was sipping a glass of merlot by the steps. Jackie peered over the railing, watching her. "Are you Marilyn?"

The woman looked up. Definitely Marilyn  Monroe. She looked like someone out of a Vanity Fair photo shoot. Even her clothes were exquisite. "Who are you?"

Jackie extended a hand, "Jacqueline Bouvier. We're gonna be in-laws."

"Awesome," Marilyn said dryly. They shook hands, and the woman seemed to soften a little. "Lee's a sweet girl."

"Yeah, she is." Jackie smirked. She sat down next to her, folding one leg under the other. "Having a nice time?"

"I think so. The wine selection is pretty good and any minute now I'm going to run into my ex-fiancé and have the satisfaction of making him wish he were dead," Marilyn said calmly. "It's a promising evening."

"Oh, sweet. Sounds like a fun time."

"Sure is."

Vaguely, Jackie wondered if she was drunk.

Marilyn turned her head, scarlet lips stretching into a sinister smile. "And there's the fucker now."

Jackie followed her stare, ready for some mild amusement. And sure enough, right across the patio stood Jack Kennedy, pushing a gift-wrapped box into Lem's hands. He kissed Lee on the cheek and she smiled and Jackie cringed. "Shit motherfucker shit damn."

Marilyn glanced over. "Uh."

"I have to pee. Bye."

Jackie scrambled to her feet and ditched Marilyn  in an instant.

"Bitch."