Epilogue

Prophecy entered the castle doors and was welcomed by the former Queen Maria. The old queen was eager to hear of what Prophecy would foretell of her grandson, Henry. The young prince was the firstborn of King Alan and Queen Ariana and already they were expecting another child. Queen Ariana was sure to give birth any day now and the whole kingdom was joyful with the news.

For a woman of eighty-two years, Prophecy was walking tall and strong, though her blind, blue eyes were even duller than the last time Queen Maria had seen her. Prophecy's two sisters, Fate and Destiny, were supposed to come as well but had been unable to at the last minute. Destiny was busy in another kingdom, supposedly in Susurros.

Nevertheless, Prophecy was the only one to arrive that day. "Where is the young prince?" she asked, leaning on her cane while she waited.

"He's with his parents upstairs," Queen Maria answered. She helped guide the old blind woman up the staircase and down the hall until they reached the grand room in which the young, royal couple were relaxing.

The four year old prince was busy running around with a small, wooden sword his father had made him. The prince was being chased by another boy of the same age, the second-born of Sofia, Ariana's beloved friend.

Ariana and her friend sat quietly in the corner of the room by the fireplace, watching the two boys play. Sofia was stitching a button back on her oldest child's shirt while Ariana crocheted little booties for the babe inside of her.

"I hope I am not disturbing," Prophecy said, as she entered the room, still holding on to Queen Maria's arm.

"Of course not," Queen Ariana replied, setting her needlework down. She called her son over to her side and instructed him to be still while Prophecy walked forward.

Once she was guided to the boy, Prophecy reached her hands out until she felt the child's hair under her fingertips. She rested her hands on the back of his head and took a deep breath in.

Expecting to hear good news of her son's future, Ariana was let down when Prophecy only said, "Interesting. Yes, if you don't mind, I wish to speak of all the children's futures at the same time."

"I'm due any day, but I'm not sure how much longer you would have to wait here. Of course we can provide you with a room, but are you able to stay longer?" Ariana had hoped to hear her son's prophecy tonight but she was patient enough to wait. She only hoped Prophecy was able to stay.

"That won't be necessary," Prophecy replied. "I won't be waiting long, you'll be in labor tonight and I shall read your children's prophecy tomorrow morning."

King Alan glanced at his wife and smiled, thrilled with the news that their child would be born tonight. "We should make preparations then," he said happily. "And we will have a room ready for you for the night, Prophecy."

The old woman bowed her head in answer. Queen Maria walked her to the doorway, but Prophecy turned back to face the family before leaving. "My sisters tell me your dragons have an egg waiting for the birth of its bond mate. I find it interesting that your dragons should have a young one the week before you are to give birth to your own."

King Alan took hold of his wife's hand and looked over at Prophecy. "It is convenient timing," he agreed, "but we don't expect anything to happen. We will be overjoyed to just have our child safely in the world, there is no stress for the little one to be bonded to a dragon."

"Even so," said Prophecy quietly. "It is interesting."

Sure enough, that night Ariana went in to labor. She was already prepared, lying in a comfortable bed in a private room of the medical wing in the castle. Alan never left her bedside and Sofia watched over Henry and her own two children while they slept through the night.