Chapter seven: Hopelessly in Love

As Loki reached the bank of the lake, heart hammering, thoughts reeling, he was startled by the sudden appearance of a familiar figure.
.Sigurd.

"What goes on here?!"
He demanded, eyes wide at the sight of Loki bare chested, agitated, and Belle cowering in the lake, desperately trying to preserve her modesty.

She'd given up on following Loki. She could not expose herself by leaving the hidden depths of the water, and besides, his outburst had completely unnerved her.

Loki was outraged by Sigurd's sudden intrusion and in his temper he almost forgot that he was wearing the guise of a normal man, and not the mighty Allfather.

"How dare you pry into my personal affairs, you impertinent wretch!"
He roared, advancing upon him, his hands balling into fists.

"Impertinent wretch?! How dare you Sir! I was concerned for the lady's well being, that is all...and with good reason it seems. I heard the commotion from the other side of the grove!"
Sigurd shouted back, clearly astonished.

"Concerned? I think not! You intentionally set out to spy on her, didn't you, you depraved beast?! How dare you intrude in such a manner! How long have you been peering at her?"
Loki shot back, and at that he launched himself at Sigurd, tackling him to the ground, where the pair began grappling.

Aghast, Belle took the opportunity to jump from the lake unnoticed, and retrieve her dress.
She hurriedly slipped it on, before rushing over towards the brawling men.

"Stop it!"
She cried, as Loki struck Sigurd once again, and the strength of the blow made Belle flinch.

It was hardly a fair fight. Sigurd, despite being relatively strong, could not match the strength and agility of a demi-God.
The only injury Loki had sustained was a slight cut to the cheek, due to Sigurd's signet ring.

"Leave him be, I beg you!"

Hearing the desperate pleads of Belle, Loki halted his assault, enabling her to run to the wounded man.

"His behaviour is disgraceful, yet you run to him-"

"What of YOUR behaviour?!"
Belle cut in, interrupting the disgruntled King.

"He did not deserve a beating. Why would you do that?"

Loki faltered, unsure of how to answer. The truth was, he didn't honestly know. He hadn't had time to gather his thoughts, which was out of character for him. It was usually Thor who was prone to fits of temper, not him.

Placing one of Sigurd's arms around her shoulder, Belle helped the injured man to his feet.

"You're too kind, fair Belle."
He winced, throwing Loki a dirty look.

"And you Sir Lopt, ought to be ashamed of yourself....accusing this tender lady of being a witch!"

Loki's expression darkened further,
"Have you not learnt your lesson yet, eavesdropper? Who are you to proffer an opinion on personal matters, you shall pay dearly for your insolence!"

"Come, Sigurd."
Belle interrupted, and set off in the direction of her cottage.

"So she has beguiled you also, fool..."
Loki called out after Sigurd,
"....and you, mewling wench.....you may seduce that oaf, but I shan't succumb to your charms!"

Belle threw a withering look over her shoulder, her eyes sad.

This caused him a sudden pang of disappointment and frustration.
And he was left feeling decidedly rattled, watching their retreating backs.