Chapter 3

-Dedicated to SunkissedSky for voting all the way up to the second book of The Unseen! =)

CHAPTER 3

Rashal tapped her foot impatiently against the tiles in the girl's bathroom. We were at school, and I was fixing my plain, icky hair, attempting to make it half decent. She leaned against the edge of the sink, twirling a strand of blond hair.

"If you make me late for class just to look good for Hunter..." Rashal threatened, her blue eyes narrowing.

"Hey, chill out," I replied, wondering, somewhat self-consciously, if I looked okay. My long, limp black hair was loose around my shoulders and face, my bangs arranged carefully. They still didn't look good. Silver-toned eyes blinked back at me in the mirror. They were actually more of a dully grey today, which I wasn't particularly pleased with. It was almost like all the blue had faded from my eyes and I was left with a dusty color.

Frustrated, I shoved my bangs off of my forehead and made them sweep sideways to the left. Not working. I shifted them to the right.

Rashal literally growled. "I'm leaving if you don't hurry!"

I sighed.

"Fine, fine!" I gave in, snatching my books, which were wobbling on the edge of the sink, in danger of falling to the tiled floor. We exited the bathroom and half-ran, half-walked to our next class. We only had two classes together, sadly, but hey, it could have been zero.

We hurried into the room and slid into our seats just as the bell rang. "Miss Lane, Miss River, I expect you to be on time the next lesson," Mr. Edder drawled in a snide tone. We weren't even late.

It would be an understatement to say that everybody hated Mr. Edder. He was the worst teacher in the school. He acted like he was tough and strong, but his appearance was the complete opposite. Mr. Edder was wiry, with a balding head that shone in the light like a newborn baby's butt, and  he always wore suits, even in ninety degree weather. 

If that alone doesn't easily disgust a person, there was always the fact that he once made this girl named Serah cry openly in class. She was probably the sweetest little angel you could ever lay eyes on, but of course this didn't matter to Mr. Edder. No matter who a person was, what their background was, or what they liked--nothing could stop him from his tyranny.

I still remembered the dreadful day - Serah was working on a group project. It so happened I had been grouped with her and Rashal. Thankfully, I had my own best friend with me, but Serah was painfully shy and didn't really know either of us that well. Rashal had tried attempting conversations with her, but she just always gave red-faced mutters as replies.

Anyways, she had been writing our information that we had collected on the poster board. She had the prettiest handwriting ever; I was almost envious. By the time it came time to present to the class, she had taken the poster board home the night before to finish up writing everything. It turned out she spilled some grape juice on it, and hadn't had time to restart anything.

Needless to say, Mr. Edder had not been pleased. He had thrown a fit, screaming in a rage, and poor, helpless little Serah had bawled and bawled. Hunter, being in our class also, had opened his mouth to say something - I noticed almost everything he did and said, if I was near enough - but Rashal and I had both started arguing back at the same time.

"It's not her fa--" I started, while Rashal said, "We can redo it la--"

"All three of you, out in the hall, now!" This outburst had led to a different location where we were screamed at again. The board even talked about firing him after this incident, but he had been at the school for much too long for him to be sent away over such a small issue.