Chapter 4

"Atlas, wake up baby." Daddy said, shaking me gently awake. "It's really late."

"No." I groaned pulling the blankets up over my head.

"Yep, up now and downstairs please." He chuckled kissing my forehead and walking out of my room.

I shuffled downstairs, still wrapped in one of my soft blankets, yawning whilst smoothing down my hair. I sat down at the table and lay my head down.

"Atlas, you have a message in a bottle." Muma said, setting down the bottle on the table. "I think it might be from Lily."

"Really?!" I asked pulling the stopper out and scanning the letting to see Lily had signed it in a purple glittery pen. I read it quickly hearing about all her travels in the Indian Ocean where Lily and her parents were currently travelling. Her family travelled a lot but they still came back to the Kingdom for a few months at a time before they were off to travel another area of the Oceans.

Her parents home-schooled her but when she was back in the Kingdom, Lily came to classes with me and the rest of the students living here.

"Lily said here she'll be home in a few months!" I beamed excitedly.

"Really? That's great Atlas, I'm sure she'll be very pleased to see you." Mum said placing a mango that had been sliced up in front of me.

"Thank you." I smiled as I popped a piece of heaven into my mouth.

"That's woken you up baby." Daddy said ruffling my hair.

"Yeah," I smiled happily.

---

I waited patiently for Daz to show up. The long sea grass waved in the water as I ran my fingers through it. I watched the scales on my tail sparkle and shimmer as they caught the light. I had told my Dad I was going to a small island today, one I used to visit quite often. I lay my head back against the rock and groaned. He was late and I didn't know if he was even going to show up or not.

I waited around for another hour, taking time to brush my hair, until I began the depressing swim home. Daz wasn't coming to see me, and let's just leave it at that.

I walked through the door to my house and went straight up to my room not wanting to deal with anyone. It's pathetic really, I'd known him for a few days only and already I was moping about when he didn't show up like he said he would. Frustrated, I climbed into bed and started reading a book to pass the time.

Everyone around the table could tell there was something wrong with me. I was scowling and pushing the food around my plate. I've had a bad day and got stood up by a stupid merman and I didn't want to talk to anyone.

"Atlas, what's wrong?"  Daddy asked me again.

"Nothing, like I said."

"Enough with the attitude. Tell me what's wrong." He demanded.

"Caspian, leave him." My mum said. "He'll come to us when he's ready and wants to."

Daddy sighed and went back to eating. He continued to talk to everyone else and told us how a big storm was going to hit tonight. A few ships had been spotted and they looked ready to fight it and survive but a smaller boat looked less equipped and prepared. I'd asked on multiple occasions if Daddy would take me to see a human but he flatly refused. He said I was too precious and innocent for humans to corrupt but that's not true. I think he wants to see me as his baby for forever and won't acknowledge I'm growing up. I didn't mind too much though, I liked the security my family provided me with and I always had trust Daddy would keep me safe.