Chapter 34

When I arrived home, everyone was so happy to see me. Muma cried and so did Merial, Calder didn't but he was still excited to see me. I was brought a plate of mango that I ate hungrily, next, a whole array of different foods. Fish, bread, potatoes, vegetables, meat, salad and lots of fruit! We had a lovely family dinner. Until Daddy demanded to know exactly where I went and what I did with Daz. I ended up telling them about Fin, and to say they were shocked was an understatement. My Dad got angry and Mum calmed him down, but they mainly just wanted to know if Fin was okay. I did ask if there was anything we could do for him, but Daddy said we must not interfere with the humans, it was too dangerous.

It also stirred up some rather painful memories for my family because apparently, Fin was the name of the Zambezi warrior who kidnapped Mum all those years ago. I felt kind of bad for reminding my parents about it, but they never spoke about what happened during that time – let alone told me anyone's names! Fin was a popular name amongst merpeople too. However, since Fin was living with the humans now, I guessed they would have given him a new name, along with a new life. I tried not to think about it anymore as it was upsetting me, making me regret my decision of leaving him there. I focused back on my family for the rest of dinner, explaining to them the things we had been through and tried to paint Daz in the best picture I could, to prove to my Dad he was good for me.

Merial's mate joined us at the end of dinner and formally introduced himself. His name was Nerio, a tall man with sandy blond hair and pale blue eyes. He was kind of shy but a lovely man once I got talking to him. The appearance of Nerio took the heat off me and I was able to slip off to my room.

I undressed and slipped into the bath. I sighed as the hot water warmed up my skin and relaxed my sore muscles. I turned to look out of my bathroom window. I could just see the ocean from between the trees. The sea was rough from the current rainstorm and the moon was hidden by stormy clouds. I shifted into my merform and let my tail hang over the side of the bath. I used to love going swimming during a storm. Daddy used to take me all the time, it was so much fun running down to the water in the pouring rain and swimming through the strong currents. I guess there would be no more of that whilst Damari was out there. I shifted back to human form and started to wash my hair. My thoughts drifted back to Damari; I wonder where he's from? Had he always been near me my whole life, or had he found me by chance? What did he want to do with me?

I had so many unanswered questions. The time would come when I had to start asking them though. I couldn't stay hidden from him forever. I stepped out of the bath and walked back into my bedroom. I slipped on some white silk pyjamas and sat on the end of my bed, brushing my hair. I remembered the human brush Daz had given me and I retrieved it from its hiding spot and began using it. I wonder if Daz was thinking about me now? I wondered how he was, what he was doing. If he was missing me. Mum had asked about him during dinner and was pleased to know he was working in the kingdom. He asked when I was going to see him next which annoyed Dad. I just shrugged and continued eating and the topic wasn't discussed any further.

I climbed into bed and pulled the duvet up to my chin. Daddy had clamped the windows shut and added an extra bolt or two to make sure they couldn't be prized open. I let out a sigh and rolled over to face the other side. I felt comfort in being home, I felt I was safe to an extent, but it still didn't stop of the dread of Damari filling my mind. I shuddered and tried not to think about him. My Dad was strong, and I knew he would protect me, we had guards from the palace placed around our house to keep anyone uninvited out. All I could think about was Daz and Fin. Oh Fin, I squeezed my eyes shut and the first tears slipped down my cheeks. I hope you're okay little boy, I hope your new mother is looking after you. I know he hadn't been with us long but when you feel responsible for a little innocent life you second guess yourself on every decision you make. But I know Daz was right. It was the safest thing for him to grow up around humans, like him. They would know what to do with him and they would raise him well, a human's instinct is to help a baby, I know that. Maybe one day I could swim back to see if I could see him again, to know he's okay and growing up well.