Chapter Two - The Italian Lieutenant

Dedicated to Ruffle, she encouraged me to write because she showed it was possible.

I stood there seething, and then a thought stumbled into my mind. Flashbacks from previous summers soared back and forth in my head, taunting me with a possible answer.

"Scarlett, what's going on?" Lily asked, looking at me with concern. I fumbled with my phone, my fingers shaking as I dialed the magic numbers. Once it connected, a hoarse voice echoed through the speaker.

"I know it was you." I whispered, tightening my grip around the device.

"If you do anything like that again, I'm going to the police. Not just about what happened today, but about everything." I voiced, the threat lingering in the air before I hung up. I slipped the phone back into my pocket and swallowed, licking my lips anxiously. The adrenaline slithered out of my veins and I was left contemplating what I'd just done. I took a gamble and I prayed to God it would work.

"Scarlett?" Lily probed, her hand touching my arm reassuringly.

"Okay, Lily." I broke out of my trance and nodded my head, closing my eyes before they snapped back open.

"None of this happened. Don't tell anyone about it." I ordered, pivoting on my heel before taking off to the hallway.

"What about the video and people seeing it?" Lily leaped into action, her feet hammering the wooden floor as she tried to stop me from leaving.

"I made the call. If I know him well, which I do, that video will vanish into a black hole. It wasn't sent to anyone, it was just there to scare me." I stated, inhaling a sharp breath as I skidded to a halt.

"Who are you talking about?" Lily inquired, then she realised why we'd stopped abruptly. I pursed my lips when I realised who was standing there, their jawline sharp enough to cut into pink flesh. The stubble was carefully sprinkled around his chin and I swallowed, looking up with disgust.

"You're the new English teacher, aren't you?" Lily asked, cocking her head to the left and curling her lips with flirtatious content. I clenched my jaw at the sight of the man whose tall, erect posture towered over me.

"Indeed, I am." The Italian accent hung in the air, forcing me to acknowledge it.

"What are you doing here?" I grumbled, my toe tapping in a staccato rhythm.

"Why, Scarlett!" He exclaimed, a smile dangled on the corner of his lips. I folded my arms and glared upwards, sucking my lip with frustration. The bastard pretended to be surprised.

"Didn't you hear your little friend? I'm the new English teacher." I managed a deadpan expression, becoming very interested in the wall next to me. The paint was exquisite. I then turned my head, shrugging my shoulders.

"Of course you are." I wrinkled my nose in distaste while he hovered in front of us, blocking our pathway.

"You two know each other?" Lily asked, her eyes transforming into circular orbs. I ignored her question, hoping to avoid that conversation for the moment.

"We're in a rush, sir, would you mind stepping to the side?" I asked politely, hand signalling for him to move.

"We do know each other, Scarlett just so happened to-"

"Well, we must be on our way!" I hurriedly yanked Lily, dodging past him until I felt his fingers clamp into my tender flesh.

"What?" I exclaimed angrily, my body stiffening as his grey eyes bore into mine.