Captain Ingram

A few days had past since Fire Team Osiris had returned from action, they hadn't seen Blue Team since they rescued them from Cortana back on Genesis, and then said goodbye to the Arbiter on Sanghelios. Edward Buck was minding his own business reading on articles from local news to global UNSC news, he hadn't heart from his other half Captain Veronica Dare for nearly 2 days, but he knew she could handle herself, after all she was ONI.

Buck stopped reading to drink his coffee, he was in his quarters on UNSC Infinity. He looked up at his old ODST Armour, after the battle of New Mombassa he vowed to retain the battle scarred armour to remind him why he did what he did, for freedom. When he was asked to join the Spartan programme he asked for one thing, that his new Spartan armour had ODST DNA & design to it, and it did. He took a gulf of black coffee, savoured it and swallowed it, he placed the mug back on the coaster, picked his data pad to check on any news from his squad or Dare.

He threw the pad on his bed and he sat back down on the chair, he felt bored like he didn't know what to do with himself. There was a knock at the door, 3 to be precise, only 1 person did that it was Locke. Buck nodded and kicked a chair out for Locke, he sat down looked at Buck and then finally opened his mouth.

"Do you know why am here?"

"Well, I'm not selling cookies so....either you're bored or there's a mission coming are way?"

"The latter, or should I say.....a new member, We're going to be a 5 man squad. Captain Lasky's orders."

"Oh now that is NEWS....higher or lower?"

"From what I've heard, Higher ranking officer, outranks us all."

"Is this bothering you? Or?"

"What do you mean?"

"C'mon Locke, I know that face....when I left my Squad for the Spartan programme it was hard not being squad leader. End of the day, we're still friends, just that....well we have ranks."

"I guess, we have to meet the mystery man/woman in 30 minutes. I've pinged Tanaka & Vale heading this way, you better put the coffee on."

"I should be charging you assholes, I'm not a cafeteria!"

Locke just laughed, Locke rarely laugh actually it was nice to see him break a smile though Buck. He added more coffee ground to the pot and let boil, Vale & Tanaka both arrived, wearing their combat regulation under garments. Buck was dressed like a civvie, Locke also was in his CRG Buck felt like a redneck amongst warriors.

"Hold on....was I the last to know about this meeting? Or did I miss the memo"

"Yes, sorry Buck. We didn't want to disturb you we thought you & Dare was chatting away...."

"Erm, thanks Vale."

"Suck it up, you normally give some smart ass comment anyway!"

"Oh ha ha ha Tanaka, funny gal"

"Ok ladies....Buck CRG now. We gotta meet the stranger in the briefing rooms."

5 minutes later Buck was in uniform they exited his quarters and headed for the elevator. Locke went into the elevator, followed by Vale Tanaka & finally Buck. Locke pressed the "ONI Officers only" button on the control panel, the went down about 9 levels.
The door opened, The ladies exited first, followed by Locke & Buck. Captain Lasky was already there, and surprisingly even more so Dr.Halsey.

"Captain, Doctor?"

"Don't worry, Spartan. I have my reason to be here...."

"Never doubted, Ma'am."

"Osiris, take a seat. Captain Ingram? Ah there you are, Osiris this is your new Commanding Officer."

"Smooth...nice armour."

Buck was impressed, the guy had brand spanking new armour, Gun metal grey with flashes of Yellow. It was the Enforcer MJOLNIR set, helmet to match, very intimidating. The Captain remove his helmet, short & almost bald head, with stubble around his face. Buck was in awe, his armour was pristine. He saw his custom Magnum pistol in its holster again, same colour as the armour. Buck then noticed Locke's face which was how Buck felt inside, speechless.

Captain Ingram also had a MA5D Assault Rifle, again with the same colour scheme to match his armour. But it was a custom rifle, the under grip had been replaced by a RIS Rail, it had a grip at the bottom, with a guidance laser system on the left side. It also had a HOLO Sight, near the ammo counter. Buck hadn't seen a rifle like that before.

"Nice rifle, Sir."

"Thank you, Buck. That is your name right?"

"Yes, Sir."

"Just call me Sparky, that's my nickname."

At that point the Doctor got up and hugged Ingram, Buck began to wonder if Ingram was also an original Spartan. But he saw his eyes, they wasn't blue like John 117, Buck was now curious.

"Osiris, This is my nephew. He's seen endless battles, and fought many Covenant, he even fought & trained alongside Blue team. He is like you, I know you was wondering why the eye difference. He's a Mk2 Spartan, John & the rest are the original, we learnt mistakes from that and improved Augmentation..."

"Makes sense, and forgive me Captain Ingram, why the hell are you joining my squad?"

"Ah, Locke...read so much about you. I'm the CO, I won't be joining you on all the missions you do....I have my own."

"Locke, Commander Palmer is now over seeing new trainee's hence why Ingram has stepped in. She recommend him, and Halsey also."

"Halsey? The war criminal? Are we forgetting that?"

Buck knew Locke by now, he was getting mad and the whole squad power was being misread by Locke. Buck knew what was happening, but Locke not so much, Vale just read the stats on the pad with Tanaka just staring at Ingram.

"Spartan. Enough!"

"Sorry....Sir I didn-"

"No you're right, what I did back then on those kids was wrong & I paid the price, I want to make things right hence why we have better procedures now for Augmentation, Locke."

Locke looked hollow, like a guilty man being sent to his cell in a prison. Buck shoved him, he snapped out of it and smiled at Halsey, Lasky finally sat down, Ingram still stood up helmet under his arm.

"Sorry, Sir."

"It's ok, Locke. I'm not here to take away your team, that's your family. I get that."

Family? Buck felt more and more a Spartan each day passed, He had overheard 117 say it to Locke only days before, in the military those who you fight with on the frontline are family you look after your own, Buck knew that....maybe Locke didn't? Buck didn't know much about his ONI friend, he didn't really ask.

"Anyway, Captain Ingram, Osiris....dismissed. Doctor Halsey, if you wish to join me for debriefing on the Palmer report."

Lasky & Halsey exited the room, leaving Ingram & Osiris together. No one spoke, Buck felt like he should have as he was the comedian of the pack, but he didn't.

"Captain, that accent....I can't quite place it, where are you from?" Vale finally broke the silence, with a solid question, Buck didn't pay attention to the guys accent, until Vale mentioned it. Others had that very American accent that was common in the UNSC & Earths colonial settlements.

"Earth, United Kingdom. Before I was a Spartan I was Ex SAS back on Earth, dealing with terrorist threats. Then selected for UNSC ONI Spartan programme.....trained on Reach, now many missions later....here, with you.

Buck was surprised, Earth? The first Human to come from the original birth place of the human race, that was kind of cool, Buck had been to earth all be it on war terms.

"I need one of those rifles...."

"Buck if you want one I'll get you one, anyone else?"

So, Fire Team Osiris had a new member, maybe a new dawn for the team. All Buck knew was he left the coffee machine on.