Chapter 12 We are on the hunt for a murderer.

• Dedicated to Barney Cohen, James D. Parriott

Chapter 12

We are on the hunt for a murderer.

La Salle POV

‘Well if she knows that he asked me, then she knows that I will try to follow her even though he said not to. And so now I need to not think about doing it, and just go toward the warehouse district. That is where most of the seeder people go to pull their hi-jinks.’ Neva has long black hair and is wearing a blue jacket over her black jeans and purple lace and silk shirt and black boots. ‘Okay, now that I know what she has on with her pale skin and little to no makeup on, I can look there without really looking for her. That way if I see where she goes good for me.’ I plan to take the drive to Rosemont Drive and Johnson Road, and work my way from there.

Neva’s POV

‘Why did he have to ask that guy La Salle to follow me, now I have to watch for him? Luckily, I am going to be at 2591 W. Thompson Drive. It is about seven miles from where he is going. And he won’t find me until after the meeting, I hope.’ I think to myself. ‘So I turn on Kings Road to head to south 26th Ave and then turn right on Thompson Drive and park half a block down just in case he finds me sooner than I am predicting. If I am right Nick will be right behind La Salle within five minutes.  And then all kinds of heck will break loose.’ So I drive to where the guy on the phone said to meet him alone. “Luckily I have seen this place in my mind’s eye and I know he has left me a new phone, which he is going to call me on. Just so he know I am alone.” I say to myself, as I let out a calming breath.  I park just where I planned to and step out of my car.

Then I walk into the building and take a deep breath and walk up one flight of stairs, and to a door that holds one small table. Just as I grab the phone it rings, I answer it with an urgent “Hello, I am here and no one has dared to follow me.” He says, “I know, I saw you as you pulled up outside. My boss said you would come but I grabbed Tracy as she snuck out to try to follow you.” “I said that I would come, so let her go.” I tell the guy. “No, you need to come to 827 south 26th Ave. Then I will tell you what to bring to the next meeting.” The guy says to Neva. Neva asks him again, “Will you let Tracy go, if I do this? And who is your boss, why does he want me? I know you killed the three victims, but why did you do it? And what did they have to do with the death of your family?” But all he does is laugh at all of her questions and hung up.

Neva put the phone in her pocket and turns to go, but stops to look around and then let out a brief sob. Then she dries the few tears that rolled down her cheeks and walks out the way she came in the building. Looking up and down the sidewalk to make sure no one has spotted her going in and out of the building. She walks to her car and slips into the driver’s side and buckles up then looks as she pulls out of the parking spot to head to the next place.  She thinks to herself as she turns onto 26th Ave and goes south to the 800 block, ‘I just have to get Tracy away from him and figure out who the other person is that he want to kill and then I can let Nick know so he can save her.’ Neva was too wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn’t see La Salle at the next stop light.

But La Salle saw her as she passed him, so he waited five cars before following in the same direction she was going. He had just missed Tracy at the station, so he decided to locate Neva and then follow her. But what he did not know was she was bringing him to Tracy and the killer. Neva still wrapped up in her thoughts pulls over at the end of the 800rd block and gets out. ‘If I can get next to Tracy I can give her this nail file and she can get away. If I get caught oh well, she is needed more than I am.’ Neva opens the door to 827 South 26th Ave, and walks inside the warehouse. There she finds Tracy just as she saw her in her vision. The guy is proud that this has gone as well as it has been planned.

With everything going on Tracy hears the clicking of Neva’s boot heals on the warehouse floor, she states rather than asks; “Neva you’re here aren’t you. Who is this person that has me and why does he want you here too?” Neva walks over closer to Tracy a few steps and says “Tracy he is the murder of those guys, and why he wants me, I don’t really know. Why you tell us, why we are here or at least who wants me dead.” Before Thomas has a chance to say anything, LaCroix enters the room. He walks over to Tracy and rips her ropes off, and says “Go or die here with her. It is your choice.”

La Salle POV

“Go or die here with her. It is your choice.” ‘That was LaCroix’s voice, is he the reason Neva is here. So he can kill her or is she here for LaCroix to get Nick back for refusing to come back to the family?’ I think as I type a message to Jennet “LaCroix has Neva get Nick to 827 South 26th Ave NOW!” Jennet types back “Ok we are on our way.” With that done I go around to the back to find the back door ripped off the hinges, I slip in hoping Laqaux won’t hear me. I muted my phone after I sent the text to Jennet, so I know that won’t give me away. The countdown to the fight of our lives starts now.

My phone vibrates and I look at it and see that they are out front. Only to hear another voice, “Ok LaCroix now can I kill her or is there another reason she is here?” LaCroix replies “No you can’t, she is here for someone else’s pleasure. But I will kill Tracy, and you can go get Jenna. She is in the other room, Thomas. Remember if her husband had been a tougher cop maybe your mother, sisters and baby brother would still be alive. Go pay him back by taking her away from him. Just make sure it is very bloody, just like your father did.” ‘So Thomas is the murder, he has killed those men, and now he is going to kill someone named Jenna. While LaCroix kills my Tracy and Neva must be here because he is after Nick. I know Nick and Jennet has heard what he said; now Nick will go for blood. But I am going for LaCroix’s blood first, and then Nick can have the rest.’