Chapter 11 Neva's eyewitness report, to Tracy that took all night.

• Dedicated to Barney Cohen, James D. Parriott

Chapter 11

Neva’s eyewitness report, to Tracy that took all night.

Nick's (POV)

We start our car engines up, and while she waits for me to pull out of the spot next to her car. Neva pulls out after me and follows me the seven blocks to the station house, Tracy is coming out of the station and looks at me. Then she sees Neva pull up next to my car, and with the questions forming in her mind. I step out of my car, and say "Tracy, this is Miss Neva Depardo; She was in a mugging that I interrupted. I escorted her to the hospital, then back to her car, then here. She needs to make a statement. Yes, that is why i am late, is the chief mad?" Tracy says “Of course he is, he only had me calling you cell and home phone thirty times in the last two hours." She shakes her head at the look that she see me give Neva, knowing her she is probility thinking I have got another stray that I am going to take in. 'Little does she know this one maybe a keeper, ha, ha, ha.' I think to myself. 'If she accepts my being a vampire, then I will keep her with me forever.'

Tracy says "Hello Miss Depardo, please follow us to our desks. So we can get your statement, you can set in this seat." Neva looks at me and I nod for her to go ahead and set down. Neva set down and went through what happened, but she didn't say anything about the noise that I made when I killed those guys that jumped her. I thought she had forgotten that , but she looked back at me when she was done. I had written down my address and taped my key to it before she was done, so that Tracy didn't see what I did. I slipped it into her coat pocket, so that when she put her hand in it she would feel it. We all got put and I handed her coat to her, and gave the pocket a quick look, so she would see that i put something into it.

Tracy's POV

All the little things Nick is doing, reminds me of when we had just met. Then he quickly wrote down his address and taping his key into it, and trying to slip it in without my seeing. 'Boy he has it bad, well after Nat died three years ago; I never thought he would find someone else. She better not hurt him; he is like my big brother. Ha, ha, ha, I remember when I met LaSalle. He just about wanted to tear him apart, because Nick thought he was going to hurt me. Luckily for me I got there just in time to stop Nick from ripping him to pieces.' "Nick, can I speak with you, for a minute please?" I ask him, Nick nods at me as Neva turns to walk back to the front doors of the station.

"Yes Tracy, what wrong?" Nick asks me, I look at Neva as her back is away from us and say, "Nick why did you try to hide the fact that you just gave her your address and key to your condo?" Nick looks at me and shakes his head and laughs as quietly as he can.

Neva's POV

'Why Did Nick look at my pocket, and now he is laughing? Men I don't understand them, Dad was always keeping things from mom. That is why they are dead now, if dad had told mom of the shady dealing he was involved in. Mom would have grabbed me and left a long time ago, but the message I got was loud and clear. I had to leave and forget everyone I know just to stay alive, when those guys first grabbed me. I thought for sure that the person that had order my parents death, had found me. So yes I was scared, but then that noise made me even more scared. Then nothing and I find Nick looking at me like I was the only thing there. But why me, why should he look like that at me?' I wondered to myself.

 I walk to the double doors and start to grab the handle when a flash comes in my head; then my eyes blur with a haze, I see a gun being held up to Tracy’s head. She is in a room with a bright light blinding her, but I see the person holding the gun clear as if it was happening right in front of me. The man has dark brown hair down to his wide shoulders, his eyes are as black as coal, his skin has a dark tan, he smells like bourbon but he is clean shaven like he is a lawyer. then he turns as if to look right at me, as if he knew I was watching just what he was about to do to her. “Pick who is going to die this one or that other female, neither one deserves to live but I give you the choice” he says to me. “When my boss gets what he wants from you then maybe he will make me come for the other one anyway. How do you want to want to get that dagger with them alive or dead?”

I start to say something but I have no voice to scream out ‘No’ with. But Nick and Tracy hear me screaming and rush over to me. “Neva, what is the matter? What did you see? Neva, tell me. Tracy, help me calm her down. Get her a wet rag and a glass of cold water.” Nick said as he grabbed me to stop me from falling to the floor as I start to pass out from shock. “Tracy, die, No you can’t make me chose between them. Who are you, why are you doing this? And who the hell is your boss, and why is he after them or me?” I ask hurriedly, not making much since to anyone. Nick takes the three minutes that it takes for Tracy to get me these things, to kiss me and hold me tight. This helps me more than anything Tracy brings me. I look up into his grey/blue eyes, and take a deep cleaning breath.