Dehydration

•AMELIA POV•
It's my first day back at work since my liver transplant. My day began with a staff meeting. Everyone welcomed me back. A case came into the E.R. and I was stuck in surgery through lunch. Owen came in to check up on me.

"Owen, I'm fine. I just have to finish this surgery." I said.

"Okay, just checking." He said.

"Okay, I gotta get back to this now. I love you, I'll see you later." I said. I leaned in for a kiss through our masks. Then he walked toward the door.

"Love you too!" He said. I went back to my surgery. It took the rest of the day. I got out of surgery and I was paged 911 to the E.R. I started to run and I just had to stop and take a breath. I ran out of breath and I got really hot and lightheaded.

"Hunt, you okay? You need to take the night off? I can page your husband." I heard Dr. Bailey say.

"Dr. Bailey, I'm fine. I just got out of surgery and I got paged 911. I just need a second." I said. She walked up to the desk.

"Page Dr. Nelson 911 to the E.R. Dr. Hunt isn't available." She said. She walked back over to me.

"That's not necessary, I'm fine." I said. I started to walk away and, well, that's all I remember.

•MIRANDA POV•
Amelia passed out.

"Get her on a monitor and get a room and get IV fluids, and page the other Dr. Hunt." I said. They got Amelia on a bed and rolled her off to a room. Owen showed up. He could tell what the look on my face meant.

•OWEN POV•
I was paged to the E.R. Miranda was there waiting for me. It was Amelia. I could tell by the look on her face.

"What happened, where is she?" I asked.

"She got out of a long surgery, got paged 911, was running and she stopped to take a breath. She was pale, sweating, shaking. I think it was a combination of exhaustion and dehydration." She said. I ran to go find her. I found her room, they were giving her IV fluids. They left out some water and a cold wet towel. I grabbed her hand and kissed it. I grabbed the towel and dabbed it on her face and chest. I gently stroked her cheek and waited for her to gain consciousness.

•AMELIA POV•
I woke up to see Owen looking at me with sympathy clear in his eyes. He handed me the water and I took a couple sips.

"What happened? I don't remember." I said.

"Well, you went into a long surgery without fluids or anything and you passed out from exhaustion and dehydration." He said.

"Oh." I said.

"You gotta slow down." He said.

"I know, you have the exhaustion part right." I said.

"That's why you're in a bed. Sleep. After you take another drink." He said, handing me the cup. I took a sip and he climbed in bed with me. He stroked my hair as I fell asleep.

•OWEN POV•
I got Amelia to fall back asleep. I continued to stroke her hair and Callie walked by. She saw me and walked in.

"Oh my god what happened?" Callie asked.

"She jumped right back in and didn't stop to eat or drink. She didn't stop at all and got dehydrated." I said as I looked down at her. She was sweating. I grabbed the cold towel and dabbed her face with it.

"Oh I'm so sorry Owen." She said. She got paged and left. Dr. Wilson came in with Amelia's test results.

"We're gonna keep her overnight, get enough fluids in her, and keep her home tomorrow, make sure she gets lots of fluids and rest. If she needs more than one day at home, you won't need to worry if she's still exhausted." She said.

"Thank you Dr. Wilson." I said. She smiled and walked out. I carefully slid down in the bed comfortably, trying not to wake Amelia. I threw my arm over her waist and grabbed her hand as I fell asleep for the night.

I woke up and Amelia was trying to peel off her IV tape.

"Amelia, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I have to pee, but this damn IV." She said. I got up and moved the IV bag onto the rolling cart.

"Now you can go." I said. She smiled and I helped her get up. She went to the bathroom and I walked her to a wheelchair. I wheeled her to the cafeteria. I brought her to a table.

"Stay here, I'll go get some breakfast." I said. I started to walk away until I felt her grab my wrist.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I just want a kiss first." She said, smiling at me. I kneeled down to her level and gave her a soft kiss followed by a hug. I smiled and got up.

"I'll be right back. I love you." I said.

"And I love you." She said. I brought some food back to her and we ate it up. I wheeled her back to the room. I made sure she had enough to drink before sleep took over her. I saw that her IV bag was empty. She has one more bag left to empty before she can go home. I switched them out and got it started.

***********
"Wilson, can I go home yet?" Amelia asked, eager to be free.

"Yes, Dr. Hunt. You can." Wilson said. She gave us the discharge papers and we signed them. She took out the IV and got a wheelchair in the room.

"Oh thank god." Amelia said. I laughed and got her into the wheelchair. I wheeled us to the doors and grabbed her hand as we walked through the parking lot and to the pickup truck. I helped her climb into the passenger seat and I got in the other side. I grabbed her hand and started driving. She began to fall asleep. Once I pulled up at the trailer, I brought everything inside and went to Amelia, who was completely passed out in the passenger seat. I was gonna wake her up, but there's no way she'll be able to go back to sleep so deeply. I carefully picked her up and brought her into the trailer. I laid her down in the bed and kissed her forehead.

•AMELIA POV•
I woke up in my own bed. Owen was laying by me, stroking my cheek.

"How are you feeling?" Owen asked.

"Eh, I feel really weak still." I said, running my fingers through his hair. He gave me a kiss and grabbed my hand.

"I'm gonna get you some water." He said, getting a bottle of water with a straw. He opened it and stuck in the straw. He handed it to me and I took a couple sips. I handed it to him and he took a sip and set it down. It started to rain. Hard. I snuggled up to Owen.

"I like the sound of the rain. It's relaxing. It's one of the reasons I moved to Seattle. Having you to snuggle up with while it rains makes it so much better." I said. He kissed my head.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I said. I felt a light shake. I hid my face in Owen's chest.

"Baby, it's gone now." He said. I nodded, shaken by the small earthquake. It started up again. It was a lot worse. I buried myself into Owen. He comforted me for like 30 seconds before I panicked.

"Owen, what's happening? Shouldn't it be done by now?" I asked.

"Yes, but you're safe." He said. He held me tighter for the next 5 minutes until the earthquake calmed down. I stayed close to Owen.

"Is it gone?" I asked, a little shaken up.

"Yes. Amelia sweetheart you're fine." He said, rubbing my back.

"Okay. Can I have some water?" I asked. He grabbed the water and I took a few big sips. He held me in his arms until the peaceful sound of the rain put me to sleep.