Chapter 7

Chapter 7

My spine tingled as I remembered that awful day. The shocks still affected me every now and then like they were still happening.

We were almost to the front doors of the asylum when the guard stopped at the front desk and asked for the Warden. I groaned. I knew that wasn’t supposed to happen. I had waited for this day for the past three years of my life. I had been through so much here, and I just wanted to get out. I dropped my one bag of clothes on the floor and sat next to it. I knew we weren’t going anywhere just yet.

We waited about ten minutes before she arrived. Honestly, she just looked pissed. She wanted me to leave, just as much I wanted to.

They spoke privately for about twenty minutes. I could hear parts of the conversation.

“Lockdown immediately, she will realize and the whole world will be at stake….” The warden stammered.

“Yes, but she has no recollection of any of the previous lives. None….Your tests have proven who she is but not that she knows.” The guard seemed to be reassuring not only the warden but himself as well.

 I leaned back against the wall and closed my eyes. I had no idea what on earth the were talking about, and at this point I didn’t care. I just wanted out.

I saw pieces of mirrors, and men in suits, and what might have looked like a ballroom. I looked down at my hand and saw what I thought might be an engagement ring…

“Thirteen…I mean Ms. Bori, we are leaving now get your stuff.” I heard the gruff voice of my guard say. I snapped out of the dream and back into reality of the asylum.  I got up and reached for my bag. “That will not be necessary, where you are going they will have things already awaiting you.”

I looked from the guard to the warden. I could not read their faces; they were blank expressions staring at me. I sighed, and the guard walked away from the front doors and turned the corner. I followed only to expect the worse.

We walked every which way, even down corridors I didn’t even knew existed. I never knew they had even painted the place. Some corridors were green, some blue or yellow. I wasn’t sure the purpose but it was an interesting view of this mad house.

We finally came to a halt at the back doors, or what I assumed were the back doors. Beside the door was a keypad, with symbols instead of numbers. The guard step in front of the pad so that I could not see the combination. Within seconds the door opened and he ushered me through. One I was over the threshold I stopped and just stared. There were people hustling and bustling all over the place, girls of all ethnic backgrounds standing around while people fitted them with clothes, and or helped with makeup and hair.

“Welcome to the first step to a new life. Welcome to witness protection.” A sign blinked in the corner.

“Uhm, I’m not sure this was the right way.” I said to the guard. “I’m on release remember.”

“This is your release. This is for your own good and the good of all others. You will receive help from our liaison, Loraine Bayfeld. She will assist you through your process. You are no longer Cassie Bori, or number 13. She will give you all of your information when you meet. Let me take you to your accommodations. Loraine will meet us there.