Chapter 2: The Ones Who Are Precious to You

Naruto was discharged from the hospital later that day. He wasn't able to tell Hinata or any of his friends. And how could he? Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I'm gonna die in less than a week. See ya! But he couldn't think about that right now. He had some business to take care of.

Today, Sasuke was coming home.

It had been three years since Naruto's best friend, Sasuke Uchiha had left the village to atone for his sins throughout the land of fire. Sasuke had promised to return to the village one day, and they'd received a messenger hawk from him saying that today would be the day.

Naruto walked towards the Leaf gates, a thousand thoughts running through his mind. He saw Sakura waiting, staring down the road. She's still hung up on him, he thought, remembering the days when they were still genin. She chased after him constantly, always trying to win him over. Naruto actually thought he was in love with her until he realized his feelings for Hinata. All he really wanted was to beat Sasuke.

Sasuke... He remembered the last tie he saw his rival. He left the village, not even willing to take his new artificial arm. Sasuke was too proud for that. Naruto grinned. He never made it easy on us. It was always a struggle to call him our friend.

Naruto finally caught up with Sakura, startling her. "Oh, hey Naruto... How're you feeling?"

"You don't have to pretend to care right now Sakura. It's okay. Just wait." Sakura looked surprised by this, but was glad that Naruto understood her feelings.

So the two of them watched and waited. And watched. And waited. It seemed like an eternity, even though it was only a few hours. It was starting to get dark. Sakura was getting worried. "Naruto... What if something happened? He should've been here by-"

"It's Sasuke. Nothing can stop him." And as if on cue, something went whizzing through the space between them. Naruto and Sakura turned, and there he was. He wore a black cloak around his shoulders, black and grey clothes, and had a katana strapped to his waist. His long, black hair covered his left eye entirely, but they could tell it was him.

"What are you two staring at?" Sasuke asked. Naruto stared in disbelief. Sakura started to blush, then cry, then laugh.

"Sasuke!" She cried, wrapping her arms around him, squeezing him tight.

"Ow! You're hurting me!" He shouted.

"Oh god! Sorry!" She let go of him, blushing. Sasuke chuckled, caressing her bright pink hair.

"That's okay. I guess I'll have to get used to it." And then, it was Naruto's turn. Instead of hugging, the two just stared at each other, almost glaring. Oh no, not this again, Sakura thought, gulping.

"... Your hair got longer," Naruto finally said, breaking the silence.

"Yours got shorter..." Sasuke replied. Then, he closed his eyes and grinned. "Don't tell me you're going balled on me, Usuratonkachi." He chuckled, and Naruto grinned back at him.

"What about you? You look like a hobo, you emo!" He shouted back. The two walked forward and shook hands, suddenly remembering what they were. Naruto was an annoying, loud mouthed, immature moron. Sasuke was an emo, crabby man with a bad attitude. In short, they were best friends. They'd even saved the entire world together. Twice.

The trio walked in near silence to the Hokage palace, where Kakashi expected Sasuke. Kakashi was made Hokage by Tsunade at the end of the Fourth Ninja War. Even after losing his Sharingan, Kakashi Hatake was still a formidable ninja. He was now partially in charge of the Allied Shinobi Forces, and was highly respected as the sixth Hokage.