Chapter Six: Goodbye

Hiccup had been absent for most of the day. No one knew where he had gone and when he was finally seen that evening, he didn't offer up the information. He arrived at the Great Hall like his father had wanted. As he walked in, the Vikings present had averted their gaze. All except Gobber, who had jerked his head slightly to invite the young man to sit beside him. Hiccup obliged, feeling rather dead inside.

"He would have wanted to go this way." Gobber said, staring at his mead. "Wouldn't have wanted to grow old and frail. You know that."

Hiccup nodded. Stoick had once made a joke that if he ever went senile, he hoped someone would put him out of his misery. That he would rather it be quick. Well... he had gotten his wish.

Someone placed a tankard of mead in front of Hiccup and, without really thinking about it, he took a sip. It was the first sip of anything with alcohol since the night he had gotten drunk over five years ago. Stoick had helped him stumble home... he'd laughed when Hiccup had told him he looked like a yak. The young man looked around at the Great Hall... everything reminded him of his father. The way his voice had boomed so loudly, anyone could hear it. A table near the corner had been where Stoick had sat him down and told him everything he needed to know about growing up (and a lot of things he didn't need to know, at least not at eight years of age).

"Hiccup... listen, if you need anything..." Gobber continued after a long pause.

"I know. Thank you." Hiccup patted him on the back. "Dad said he... he had something for me?"

"Aye, he did. I'm not sure where he would have put it." Gobber said thoughtfully. He turned to his best friend's son. "There's nothing you or anyone could have done. He saved Spitelout and Olaf. Your father died a hero."

"I'm not ready to talk about this." Hiccup drained the tankard. "I... I need to go home. We have to tell the kids."

"Do you want me to-"

"No, I think... I just want this to be a private thing. I d-don't know how Addie's going to-" Hiccup put a hand up to his face and took a few deep breaths. "I just... I don't know. It's too much to process."

"The service will be tomorrow. About noon." Gobber said, watching Hiccup stand up, still in a bit of a daze.

"Thank you for everything. Really." Hiccup walked back to his dragon, his eyes fixed on the ground ahead of him and ignoring the stares he was receiving.

Toothless had been sitting in a corner, allowing his human some privacy. He didn't know why Hiccup was upset but he knew that it was his job to be supportive and try to cheer him up. Whatever had happened was so big, he knew it was going to be an incredibly difficult task. When Hiccup reached him, he cooed and put his snout up to his human's hand. Hiccup gently rubbed it before mounting him and flying home.

Astrid had come by to quietly tell Lotus what had happened. The two women had stayed with the twins, thankful that no one else had interrupted them. They decided that Adrianna needed to be with her parents when she found out. Lately, Hiccup was the only one who could calm her down. As for Finn, it seemed only logical to wait until nightfall when both of his parents could speak to him.

Hiccup touched down on the soft, earthy path to his house at sunset. Toothless followed him, trying to support his human as best he could. Inside, he could see Astrid and Lotus playing with a cheerful looking Finn. Adrianna wasn't there but Hiccup figured she was probably napping upstairs. The moment Astrid caught sight of his blank expression, her insides seemed to freeze. Hiccup noticed the look of terror on her face and walked up to her, putting his hands on her shoulders.

"Hiccup..."

"I made you a promise and I intend to keep it." Hiccup hugged her, burying his face into her shoulder. "I won't do that again. You need me, the kids need me, Berk needs me."