Chapter 3

Moments later a nurse came in with a plain brown frock in her hands. She left it on the bed and left without a word. Quickly I dressed and got out of the infirmary. I stopped as I saw the street I was about to walk on to. There were people everywhere. Some were in coats and top hats while others were in ragged and ripped clothes. Horses pulled carriages and carts down the cobblestone. I looked to the cloudy sky. Not one ray of sunshine filtered through the dark clouds. Little pieces of snow white cotton floated in the air and landed on some people's hair and shoulders. 

I took a deep breath before stepping out on to the cobblestone. I didn't know where I was going but I walked along side many other people down the road.

How will I get money? I need a job, and soon. I need a place to stay for the night and the nights to follow. Would it be easier if I just left?

"Excuse me miss." I heard a male voice say to my right. I turned to see a short balding man wearing what can best be described as rags. "You look lost." He flashed his yellowing teeth in a sly smile. This is the first person to talk to me. He might willingly give me information.

"Do you know where I could find work?" I asked. The man chuckled.

"I believe that house down the way is in need of a maid and there are always the mills. I think Marlborough Mills is the best paying to women. Do you need a place to stay for the night miss? I have room in my bed." His offer made me cringe.

"I believe I will be just fine. Thank you, sir." I sped up to get away from him. I could be a maid. It could provide quarters. I had no idea what I was going to say, and I was pretty sure nobody in their right mind would hire me as a maid. I did go up to the door and knocked on it though. An older woman in a cook's outfit came to the door and opened it.

"Hello, miss. Do you need to speak with the woman of the house?" She had a harsh Irish accent and an dismissive tone in her voice.

"No, I-ummm, I heard of a position as a maid here. I was wondering if I might be considered." I tried muster a poor innocent face.

"Then you best come inside. What's your name?" She closed the door behind me.

"Victoria Coy." The name still sounded foreign.

"Do you have any experience working as a maid?"

"No." I answered tentatively.

"How about other work? Mill worker or something of the like?" She looked me over with green eyes.

"I'm afraid not ma'am." She scoffed slightly at my response.

"You'll be perfect for the job then." She mumbled more to herself than to me. "The man of the house, Mr. Foster, will have to talk to you. He's in his study now. He don't like to be disturbed in his study."

"Should I come back or should I wait here?"

"You aren't going to be doing any waiting around 'ere missy. You're coming back to the kitchen. Consider it an audition if you please. Come on Victoria." She motioned for me to follow her down the hall and to the kitchen. "Boil some water. Pots are in the cupboard under the sink." I quickly did as I was told, setting the pot over the open fire. It was hours before supper had been finished and I was absolutely exhausted from the exertion of energy.

"Mr. Foster will see you now. I let him know you were a great 'elp in me kitchen." She didn't have the same dismissive tone about her the moment I arrived. Her green eyes had smile lines and she had a vague smile on her face. "He's in the parlor. Go up and say your piece." She urged me out of the kitchen. It took me a moment to find the parlor on the upstairs by the study. Timidly, I knocked on the door.

"Come in." I opened the door and closed it behind me. On a huge leather chair sat a middle aged man with greying ginger hair. His pale skin had wrinkles and was splattered with freckles. He wore nice clothes, but not quite the nicest. "You must be Victoria Coy." He smiled as he sipped from his glass of whiskey. "I presume Peggy has been keeping you busy."

"Yes sir." I said quietly.

"Do you like her?"

"She's a very hard-working woman. I believe that we could get along quite well together." I answered calmly.

"I take it that you're quite timid." He stood. He was quite a bit taller than me and had impeccable posture.

"I'm not overly out-spoke if that's what you mean, Mr. Foster." I wasn't sure if that was the correct answer, but at least right now I did not feel out-spoken.

"I see, Victoria. Lovely. I believe this arrangement could work splendidly." He smiled a forced smile that I returned, hopefully not looking as tense as Mr. Foster.

"Thank you Mr. Foster." I nodded graciously looking up to meet his blue eyes.

"If you wish, you could spend the night here and start tomorrow. I believe Peggy would be ecstatic to have a hand to help out with breakfast." His smile felt worse than forced, almost mean spirited. I should've run right then and there but I didn't. Instead I said: "That would be lovely."