Chapter 5

I was on my way back to the Foster's house, with my head down and moving as quickly as possible. The bruise on my face was quite visible and I wished for no one to see it. I did my best to hide it but even Peggy could tell I had a bruise on my cheekbone and she wasn't exactly the observant type. I moved so quickly and without looking and ran straight into someone.

"I'm so sorry, sir." I mumbled as I knelt over my basket of spilled groceries. I kneeled down to collect the fallen groceries. He knelt down beside me to help me.

"It's not a problem." It was a familiar apathetic deep male voice. I looked up and saw Mr. Thornton. "What happened to you?" His blue eyes weren't cold but sincere. Self-consciously I touched my bruised cheekbone.

"Umm, I fell." I stammered as I spoke. Mr. Thornton looked at me for a moment, judging if my words were the truth or not.

"That's an unfortunate fall." Mr. Thornton remarked as he handed me the basket. His eyes held me captive in the middle of the bustling street.

"Thank you for your help Mr. Thornton. I don't wish to detain you any longer." I bowed my head and began to walk forward.

"I don't know your name." Mr. Thornton's voice made me turn around.

"Victoria Coy." I answered with a small smile. It was the only thing that I knew was part of my history. It felt like a small victory ever time I said it.

"If you are in need of assistance Miss Coy, I believe you can find your way to Marlborough Mills." He tipped his hat like a gentleman and was off. I was frozen for a moment internalizing his words. 'In need of assistance', what does that mean? He must not have believed my lie of falling down the stairs.

I eventually collected my wits and began to walk towards the Foster's house.