Finding Purpose

I'm getting out of here, I told myself, And i'm not going to let anyone stop me.

I heard somthingcrash downstairs, I flinched.

I shoved my clothes hurridly into a black duffel I had yanked out of my cluttered closet, throwing everything I would need into its cluttered contents.

I heard another crash, and the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs.

My heart accelerated.

I yanked my bag off of my mattress and threw it underneath my bed, just as I heard the footsteps coming closer to my bedroom door.

I spun around just as the door slammed open.

"Raina", my dad slurred, "C'mere a second."

He stumbled over to me, grabbing my arm in a death grip. With his other hand, he grabbed my chin, jerking my head to the side.

My jaw began to hurt.

"What're you doin hidin in ur room?" he slurred.

He smelled like alcohol and cigarettes.

"Well? Are'ya guna answer me?" he slurred, his mouth close to my ear.

I stayed silent, focusing on my bedroom door.

His hand connected with my face.

And the beating began, his fists hitting my arms, face and neck repeatedly. I stumbled as one of the blows directly hit my mouth, and fell right on my ass.

He kicked my leg and stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

As soon as I heard his footsteps retreat down the stairs, I got up, wiping the blood from my lip, and walked back to my bed, pulling out my bag and setting it back onto my mattress. My hands were shaking, and a few tears slipped fom my eyes,rolling down my cheeks to plop down on my hands.

Slowly, I crept out of my bedroom, pausing to listen for the sound of the T.V downstairs. The garage door opened and closed, mening he was in the garage getting more alcohol. I made my way down the hall to my bathroom, grabbing what i needed, avoiding my probably swolen reflectio in the mirror. I clicked off the light, stuff in hand, I crept down the hallway back to my bedroom, shutting th edoor softly behind me as I walked over to my bag, dumping my items into its contents.

I checked the clock, 12:05 A.M.

I pulled on my sneakers and walked over to my bedroom window.

I unlocked the latch and slid open the window. Grabbing a screwdriver I had stashed underneath my pillow the night before, I gently worked the screen out of place.

I heard a pop, and pulled the screen into my room, throwing it behind my dresser.

I paused, no change in the sounds downstairs, no footsteps, good.

I leaned over, picking up my bag, and tossed it out onto the roof, stepping out into the cool night air, and pulled the window shut behind me.

I looked around in the dark until I found the fence. I dropped my bag onto the front lawn and quickly made my way across the uneven tiles of the roof until I was directly above the fence. Slowly, i sat, dangling my legs over the edge of the fence, and gently, I let myself down onto its wet splintery surface. From the fence, I easily dropped down onto the wet overgrown grass.

Taking care not to slip on the wet grass, I quickly made my way over to my duffel bag, slinging th estrap over my shoulder, I sprited down the street and into the cold night.