The Meal and the Talk

Drake's POV

I sigh, as the clock hits 5:15.

The note Caspiel left had said his room number, plus what time I was to show up.

It said dress formally, so I was assuming that meant no cloak.

I had already had a bath today, but I did brush up my hair, which had grown tangled from my sudden nap.

I took off the cloak, and glanced at the clothes underneath, which were relatively taken care of, and the two canceller bangles, which glowed a faint silver. That should be good.

The shirt did feel very tight at the neck, so I unbuttoned two rows. Much better.

However, I did change out of the boots and placed a pair of dark gray monk strapped shoes in their place.

I didn't necessarily like having to dress up like this, but I had to make a good impression, or else I might not get the information I need.

But now... the decision....

I plopped down onto the bed, and stare at the untouched gold choker.

I hadn't moved it from it's original position, as if it was some kind of disease, like as soon as I put it on, it wouldn't come off. I felt as if this was the final straw, like this was the test to see if I was going to give in to the Empire's vanity.

I gently run my index finger along the side of it, before delicately picking it up, and staring at it more closely.

I brought it over to the window, where the sun was slowly setting, and it glimmered in the faint light.

I then fell back onto the bed, and placed it a few feet away from me, proceeding to stare at it for the next few minutes, trying to determine whether or not to give it a go.

The clock reached 5:45 and I was still looking at it, feeling as if it were taunting me, the small amethyst jewel glimmering in derision.

I sigh, glance at the clock, and take the choker in hand.

I will not give in to vanity, I will not give in to vanity, I will not give in to vanity. I repeat in my head as I slowly place it around my neck and snap the clasp closed, sealing my decision.

I felt as if a thundershock ran through my veins, but at the same time, I knew it had nothing to do with some sort of magic inside the golden ring, but rather my own emotions and fears of being contained and ridiculed.

My ender side twitched briefly, before I gently feel at the door, and find it unlocked. They must have unlocked it some point between when Caspiel left and now.

I cautiously step out in the hallway, feeling almost as if I had broken some rule, and I should just go back inside. But as a guard walks around the corner, I know it's too late.

If I head back inside now, they'll think I'm up to something. And that's the last thing I want right now.

I place my hands in my pockets and stride down the hallway, trying to ignore the amount of riches being thrown at me.

There are gold encrusted frames holding pictures of what I can only assume are predecessors of the current Emperor, and mercenaries holding awards.... There are suits of armor made of... did I see platinum and ruby? Countless artifacts were on display and trophies adorned the wall. Mia would love this place.

Then I realized how ironic that was.

And it made me sick.

I glance at the room numbers as I go down, checking the note briefly every few seconds to make sure I was going in the right direction.