Chapter 24 - I get interrogated

The Olympians really knew how to throw a party. Although I guess they invented parties and had a few thousand years to perfect them.

The Nine Muses were in charge of the tunes and their musical skill was so good that everyone could hear the type of music they wanted. The gods could listen to classical and us younger demigods could listen to pop or rock. That meant there were no fights or threats to blow people up. Just requests to crank it up.

Dionysus was in charge of drinks so he walked and waved his hand, topping everything up. Despite working, I've never seen him so happy as a beautiful woman walked by his side. She was smiling too, a ring on her finger. I recognised her as Ariadne, the princess Theseus had abandoned and whom Dionysus had married.

As much as I didn't like Dionysus, I was glad to see him so happy with his wife. It was a wonder why he would chase nymphs when he has a wife like that.

Soon into the party I was asked by some minor godling I didn't know for a dance. I accepted for some unknown reason and let him twirl me around to some rocking Italian song that he must have been hearing. I had to admit, it was fun for some time, but I tired quickly. My body still wasn't up to strength after holding the sky so I excused myself to look for Percy.

The last time I saw him, he'd been talking to Hermes, an uncomfortable look on his face. I thought I'd try rescue him this time but I couldn't see to find him.

I could see Grover wandering around in a daze with a plate filled with food. He looked like he had been going to and from the all-you-can-eat-buffet and was ready to go into a food coma.

Thalia had already taken off with Artemis, who wasn't that fond of parties. I'd managed to say a quick goodbye to my old friend, although I had the feeling it wouldn't be too long before I saw her again.

I was still pushing my way through the crowds, looked for Percy, when a familiar voice called my name. With a feeling of dread, I turned to see Athena standing a few metres away, the crowd giving her a few metres of space so it looked like she was in her own bubble.

"Hey Mom," I said, pushing my way to stand inside her bubble of space.

It was weird seeing her in person. I'd seen her so many times in my dreams and as statues that it was strange seeing her in the flesh. But she was the same in person, although a little more intimidating.

"I know you are angry at me," she said, her grey eyes fixed on me like a snake on its prey. "But I spoke the truth. The boy is dangerous. I will be keeping an eye on him in future."

"Percy is not dangerous," I argued. "I mean yeah, he's a good fighter and has powerful abilities, but he is not a threat to Olympus. He would not turn his back on his family. He's not Luke." The words left a foul taste in my mouth, reminding me how much my former friend had changed.

Athena's gaze didn't change, remaining unwaveringly on my face. "Do you really believe that, child? He is Poseidon's son. Can you -"

"You're letting your rivalry with Poseidon affect your thinking," I snapped, too angry to care that I was interrupting a goddess. "Percy is not Poseidon!"

"It is not who the boy's father is that bothers me," my mother countered, "but who he is to you. I do not approve of the feelings you have to him. He is not someone I would wish for my child."

I felt stunned. Did she really hate Percy that much? I shook off my shock and hardened myself.

"I will not lose my friend because of you," I told her, straightening my back to look taller although she still towered over me. "I don't care what you think of Percy. He is my friend and I believe in him to do the right thing. He will not betray Olympus or me."