Chapter 20 - I see a goddess cry

I tackled my father as soon as we landed in Crissy Field. I waited until he stepped out of his Sopwith Camel though.

"Dad! You flew . . . you shot . . . oh my gods! That was the most amazing thing I've ever seen!"

He blushed. "Well, not bad for a middle-aged mortal, I suppose."

"But the celestial bronze bullets! How did you get those?"

"Ah, well. You did leave quite a few half-blood weapons in your room in Virginia, the last time you . . . left."

I looked away, feeling guilt claw at me. What he meant was ran away but my dad was too gentle to say that. Didn't make it any less embarrassing for me though.

"I decided to try melting some down to make bullet casings," he continued. "Just a little experiment."

"Dad . . ." I began, unsure how to thank him properly. Fortunately, Thalia stopped me.

"Annabeth. Percy."

I turned to see her and Artemis kneeling at Zoë's side, binding her wound. Percy and I hurried over although I didn't know what we hoped to accomplish. We didn't have ambrosia or nectar and there was nothing mortal medicine could do. And although it was dark, I could see Zoë didn't have long.

"Can't you heal her with magic?" Percy asked Artemis. "I mean . . . you're a goddess."

She looked concerned. "Life is a fragile thing, Percy. If the Fates will the string to be cut, there is little I can do. But I will try."

She went to set her hand on Zoë's side, but her lieutenant grabbed her wrist and stopped her. They stared into each other's eyes and an understanding seemed to pass between them.

"Have I . . . served thee well?" Zoë whispered.

"With great honour," Artemis replied gently. "The finest of my attendants."

Zoë smiled, relaxed. "Rest. At last."

"I can try to heal the poison, my brave one."

I knew Zoë wouldn't allow that. She had accepted death and the peace that came with it. She looked already at peace by the serenity on her face.

She took Thalia's hand. "I'm sorry we argued. We could have been sisters."

"It's my fault," Thalia said, valiantly trying to hold back the tears. "You were right about Luke, about heroes, men - everything."

"Perhaps not all men," Zoë murmured, turning her attention to Percy. My heart clenched. "Do you still have the sword, Percy?"

He looked stunned and close to tears as he brought out Riptide and laid the pen in her hand. She grasped it contentedly.

"You spoke the truth, Percy Jackson," she told him. "You are nothing like . . . like Hercules. I am honoured that you carry this sword." She shuddered in pain.

"Zoë -" Percy started.

"Stars," she whispered. "I can see the stars again, my lady."

"Yes, my brave one," Artemis murmured, a tear trinkling down her cheek. "They are beautiful tonight."

"Stars," Zoë repeated for the last time. Her eyes fixed on the sky as she took her last breath.

I gulped down a sob as I looked away, my dad trying to comfort me by placing his hands on my back. Thalia bowed her head while Percy just sat in stunned silence.

I turned back as I heard Artemis speaking in Ancient Greek. She had her hand cupped under Zoë's mouth and caught a silvery wisp of smoke in her palm. As it drifted out of her mouth, Zoë's body faded until it was gone.

Artemis rose, spoke a few more words then breathed into her hand so the silver dust was released into the sky. It drifted around us for a moment before shooting up into the night.

I stared at the stars and gasped as I saw them move. A new constellation was blazed into them, the stars brighter as they formed a figure of a running girl with a bow.

"Let the world honour you, my huntress," Artemis said. "Live forever in the stars."

----||==========>

We weren't able to spend much time grieving after that as there was still much to do.

"I must go to Olympus immediately," Artemis said, preparing to leave. "I will not be able to take you, but I will send help."

She turned to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "You are brave," she told me. "You will do what is right."

I didn't know what she was talking about and I was too tired to figure it out right then. It was a puzzle for another day.

She went to Thalia next and although they didn't speak, I felt that they came to some kind of mutual agreement. Then she turned to Percy.

"You did well," she told him. "For a man."

Percy looked like he wanted to protest then seemed to just shut his mouth and just accept the compliment.

She hopped into her chariot and we averted our eyes as she blasted into silver light.

"Well," my father commented when she had gone. "She was impressive, though I must say I still prefer Athena."

I turned back to him, now ready to apologise. "Dad, I . . . I'm sorry that -"

"Shh," he interrupted, pulling me into a hug. "Do what you must, my dear. I know this isn't easy for you." He smiled and I felt most, but definitely not all, of my troubles fade away.

I probable would have said something meaningful back but a whooshing sound interrupted me, again. Three pegasi appeared, one completely black one and the other two white.

"Blackjack!" Percy cried happily.

Then he did the weird thing when he spoke to them.

"It was rough," he said.

I had no idea what he was talking about.

Blackjack seemed to check us over. I did my best to smile at him.

"Nah," Percy said. "These are my friends. We need to get to Olympus pretty fast."

The black pegasus seemed to be nervous about my dad as Percy had to reassure him that he wasn't going with us to Olympus. My dad didn't seem to care though as he stared at the pegasi in amazement.

"Fascinating," he said, his mouth hanging wide-open. "Such manoeuvrability! How does the wingspan compensate for the weight of the horse's body, I wonder? Why, if the British had had these pegasi in the cavalry charges in the Crimea, the charge of the Light Brigade -"

"Dad!" I interrupted.

My father blinked. If I hadn't stopped him, he would talk for hours and we'd get no where.

He smiled lopsidedly at me. "I'm sorry, my dear. I know you must go."

He and I hugged awkwardly, but this time it didn't feel forced. I knew it meant well, that he actually cared for me but didn't know how to go about it. Love wasn't like science. It couldn't be reasoned.

I went to mount my pegasus when my dad called, "Annabeth. I know . . . I know San Francisco is a dangerous place for you. But please remember you always have a home with us. We will keep you safe."

I didn't know how to answer to that as tears threatened to overwhelm me. I turned away quickly so he didn't see me cry. I think he wanted to say more, but words failed him so instead he trudged away to where he'd landed his plane.

I felt guilty that I was pushing him away again but I was too tired to tell him how I felt. Later, when this was all over, I'll come back and give living with a family a shot.

Or maybe sooner.

Thalia, Percy and I mounted our pegasi and turned them northwards. It was a long flight to Olympus.