Chapter One: The Gun Goes Off Again

A/N: Thank you to the amazing @E-Slappy for this AMAZING cover!! Make sure to check her out... She's incredible! This is my first Divergent fanfiction I've written. It's one of the best series I've ever read... But the ending crushed me.  I decided to change the ending. It starts after Tris says the line "The gun goes off again." That line occurs after David shot her for the second time. From there, I've completely alternated the ending, or shall I say... Tris' path. Because one choice can transform you. One choice can destroy you. One choice will define you. And... One choice can change your path forever. Without further to do... The first chapter!

THE GUN GOES OFF AGAIN.

I feel the stinging everywhere. I can feel a pool of my own blood collecting beneath me. It hurts so horrendously; too much to even cry. But still, it was nowhere near as bad as it was to say goodbye to my love, Tobias. One single thought pervaded my mind: I need to see him one more time.

Another fire. I can't keep my eyes open anymore, so they shut and everything turns black. Possibly for good. For once, instead of fighting or resisting, I just lay down and think about how I will finally get to see my mom and dad again. I'll get to see Uriah and Lynn and Marlee and well and every other person who died tragically during this war that I loved.

I am finally relaxing. I know the pain is still there, but I don't feel it anymore. I know my mom is waiting for me. But would she want me to die like this?

Suddenly, I see her walk up to me. She looks gorgeous as always, and hasn't aged a day since I last saw her. She's wearing the same Abnegation dress she was wearing when she did, and her hair is pulled back into a messy bun- like her hair wanted to be set free... Like her.

Whether it's real or not, I shout "Mama!!"

"Baby!" She replies.

Her eyes tear up as she runs to me, and she helps me sit up, then proceeds to sit next to me.

"Mama... Mama... How are you here? Am I dead? Is it over?"  I ask.

"Only if you want it to be, my dear. You've done so well." (A/N: Yes, IK this is like what she actually says... That's the point :))

"Mama... What do I do?"

"The question is... Are you ready to die?"

"I wasn't. And I still don't think I am. I can't leave Tobias like this. I can't leave Christina like this. I'm not ready to leave... But I'm ready to be with you. I missed you so much."

"Baby, I'll always be with you in your heart. One day, when you are ready, you will be with me and we will be together forever. But no matter where I am, or where you are, I will ALWAYS be with you and I will be there for you whenever you need me. I love you. Now: fake your death and find a way to tell Tobias you are alive. You've done so much... Now I know you can do this. I love you, my baby."

"I love you too, mama." And with that, she left.

She was right. I'm not ready to leave.

A/N: WOW that brought tears to my eyes! Stay tuned for more, and thank you for reading!