.v

Leland
*september 2010

I was outside sitting on the sidewalk in tears, no one came to check on me which hurt but at the same time was perfect because I didn't want anyone to see me like this, or smell me for that matter. I wiped tears off my cheeks.

"Hey," a soft voice was coming from beside me, "we don't know each other that well but I'm uh," she paused, "we have pre-cal together and a couple other classes together. I'm Tytiana, everyone calls me Ti."

I looked up and saw a cute girl standing near me. She had a honey complexion and full lips. Ti had a petite frame and innocent face with dark hair that flowed past her shoulders. Her gaze didn't quite meet mine, she was really quiet and seemed really nervous. "Yeah, I've seen you around." My voice was still cracking through my tears. "But I kinda wanna be alone right now." She nodded.

With a sympathetic look she flashed a smile trying to bring me to one as well but failed. "I just wanted to say I'm sorry your birthday got ruined, you didn't deserve that."

"I appreciate that Ti." I nodded as she walked back off into the building.

Odell

Maia was glaring at me from across the room. I already knew what was about to happen. The party immediately died down after Lee ran out, her mom was looking frantically for Lee with her brother and a cousin.

"You promised you jackass!"

"I lied." I stated simply. Rochelle snickered behind me.

"Shut up you easy ass bitch. Before I knock that goofy ass smile off ya face hoe!" Maia yelled, jumping at Rochelle. Quickly, she tensed up and her smile faded instantaneously. "How could you? You couldn't chill out for a fucking day at least?"

"Nope," I grabbed a soda and drank it as Maia followed me out the ballroom we'd rented, "Lee'll live. She got it." We walked out the doors and heard someone crying, Maia's anger faded to sadness realizing it was Lee. I stopped in my tracks, her body was shaking as her chest rattled with every sob she let out. I felt really bad now, I wanted to hurt her feelings and embarrass her but damn, I didn't think she's be torn up like this. She always acted so hard like nothing bothered her so that's why I always went so hard on Lee.

"You need to go apologize Odell." Maia pushed me out from our hiding spot before I had the chance to protest.

When Maia pushed me, my sneakers slid across the concrete making Lee look up. As soon as her gaze fell on me, her face flushed red and she stood up. "You son of a bitch!" She yelled, pacing towards me. "I hate you!" She landed a punch to my chest, followed by a barrage of them anywhere she could reach as tears raced down her face.

"Lee, chill. Chill." I restrained her hands and pressed her against the wall. She smelled terrible, "I'm really really sorry. This was childish." She finally stopped trying to fight me and slid down the wall defeated.

"Why did I ever like you?!" She went back to crying extremely hard while I stood there confused, unsure of what to say or do. "You're fucking evil! Get away from me!"

"Lee?" I reached for her.

"FUCK YOU! Get the fuck away from me! I hate you!" She smacked my bare calf and went back to crying. I decided to sit with her, I was the last person she wanted to be around but I felt really bad seeing what I'd done in hindsight. "Get away from me Odell." She looked at me, her eyes swollen and red, nose running, she looked really rough.

"Nah, I'm sorry Leland." I pulled her head into my lap and let her cry there. Lee lay there sniffling and sobbing to herself for a while. Her crying got really quiet after a while and I noticed she'd fallen asleep. "I'm going to hell in a hand basket for this." I stroked her head and pulled my phone out telling Maia to get our parents to come out here.

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU'D DO THAT SHIT!" My father's voice boomed through the house as he reprimanded me for my stunt today. "You ruined that girl's birthday and for what?" He paused, I didn't think he was really asking but he yelled again. "FOR WHAT JUNIOR?!"

I jumped at his tone and fumbled over an answer. "She embarrassed me at Mai's pool party just before school started."

"SHE WHAT?!" He threw his hands up and stormed towards me. "Nigga I oughta-" He dropped his raised hand and turned his back to me. "Take ya black upstairs before I hurt you! GON'!"

I raced upstairs and walked past Lee's room where Maia and her cousin were sitting with her in her bed. I stopped to say something but Maia quickly jumped up, shaking her head at me before she slammed the door in my face. I really fucked up this time.

"Can I talk to Lee please?" I ask through the door, I could hear muffled arguing as they tried to talk to Lee. "Lee, you decide. I don't care what they want you to do." After a few moments, the door opened up again and the two girls walked out. Lee had since taken a shower and threw on a baggy t-shirt and leggings. "Lee look, I'm really sorry okay. I'm really, really sorry." She looked up at me, she was still crying.

"Whatever Odell. I get it, you keep saying you're sorry, all you're gonna do is fuck me over again. I get the game now." Lee wiped a tear off her cheek while I stood there looking stupid. "It's always been the game. You get me where you want then fuck me over. I don't wanna play the game anymore, just leave me alone." I tried to say something else but she raised a finger and gestured me out.

For what it was worth, I was starting to have a soft spot for her after seeing her weaker side this afternoon. But if she wanted space, I could give her that, it wouldn't be too hard.

a/n: tytiana in the MM