.ii

Leland
*august 2010

I sat in the front row of my AP literature class with Maia. Her eyes focused in on the board in front of us. Odell sat on the opposite side of me, throwing paper balls at the side of my head when the teacher looked away.  Annoyed, I punched his thigh and threatened to snitch if he did it again, which made him stop. Classes were kicking in quick and our homework was stacking on top of us so I didn't have the time to be playing games with him. One thing I could say I found true pleasure in was Odell rarely being home thanks to football practice. I scribbled notes in my folder about the topic and homework at hand, ready to help Maia with cheer squad tryouts after school.

Just before the bell rang, I started packing my things discreetly, praying Mrs. Bouvier wouldn't take notice. "Girl." Maia, popped up out her desk when the bell rang, adjusting her uniform skirt. "These tryouts are about to be off the chain." Her eyes bright with joy.

"How's it feel taking Tasia's place for head of the squad since she graduated?" I held my books tight against my chest as we walked to our lockers. "And beating out Rochelle?" I rolled my eyes at the mention of the Isidore Devil. That bitch was evil and demented and the spawn of Satan himself, I was convinced so.

"Ro-who? Girl bye, ain't nobody worried 'bout that she devil." Maia flipped her hair over her shoulder, giving me a bitch please look. "Tasia knew better than to do that."

"I can't say that she did...'cause she woulda never made it on my squad." I scoff, grabbing my backpack and slipping everything I needed for my homework inside. I looked over my shoulder and saw Odell walking up to us. "Here comes your royal ass-ness." He slowed his pace when he got to my locker.

"Hey beautiful," he looked at Maia with a smile, "you too, dumpster juice."

"Fuck you." I snarl, shouldering my backpack.

"I'll pass. Your pussy gotta be stank like ya attitude." He shot back. "Maia, I was wondering if you wanted to go to the movies later. Just us, but you can bring ya pit bull too if it insists." I caught him shift his eyes at me.

"Dickwad." I mumble lowly.

Maia nudged me and played with her shirt collar. "As tempting as that offer sounds, I'll have to politely decline. We have squad tryouts today, and the head cheerleader must be present or else." She pushed him away and walked towards the auditorium.

"Can I come watch?" He begged.

"Don't you have dummies to go slam into pig?" I fire at him. He flicks me off and jogs to catch back up with us.

"For your info uglyahh, we don't have practice tonight." He stuck his foot out to trip me, I stumbled a little but maintained my balance for the most part.

"You jackass." I growl, Maia shook her head and pulled me away from him as we walked. She always played the mediator between the two of us."I'm getting tired of your shit. Go home or something. Better yet go fuck with one of these tired groupies you keep round here."

He shrugged and draped an arm around Maia, who only smiled and continued to walk slowly. "I would, but I wanna spend time with my favorite people."

"Bullshit, complete bullshit." I sped up to get away from him.

Hectic as tryouts were, I was glad to help Maia sift through the candidates because Rochelle was absolutely no help. All she did was sit back and flirt with Odell the entire time. Now I had to come home and deal with him again at dinner.

"So baby, how was school today?" My mom looked up from her plate to smile at me.

"Okay, helped Mai with cheer tryouts." I twirled my spaghetti noodles around my fork and took a bite.

"Awe, what about you Odell, how was practice today?" Sometimes I hated my mom was so nice to this fool 'cause the lord and I both knew he didn't deserve it. He gave her a smile that was anything but innocent and genuine. Disgusting.

"Oh I didn't have practice. I spent time with my favorite sister and Maia. I helped pick people for the squad." He lied through the skin of his teeth. "Lee was amazing."

"All you did was feel up Rochelle stop lying you shit stain." I slammed my palm down on the table.

"LELAND!" My mother belted incredulously. "I can't believe you, say sorry." She pointed a stern finger at me.

"Sorry." Mr. Beckham sat at the head of the table with a disturbed expression. I know me and Odell's bickering annoyed him but it was so hard to get along with his douchebag son. "Mom, may I be excused please?" She looked at me with furrowed brows.

"No."

"But Ma..."

"No."

"Ma-"

"Leland Monroe Jacobs. What did I just say?" I sat back in my chair knowing once I heard the full government it was no getting her to come around. "I am sick and tired of your attitude. Every night we eat here as a family and you barely ever finish and leave. Tonight and from this point on, you will sit your little ass down here and act like you got some damn sense. Do you understand me?"

I didn't even wanna give Odell the satisfaction of knowing he'd gotten me in trouble yet again. I could hear him across from me snickering silently to himself so I discreetly kicked him under the table making him stop instantaneously.

After dinner, my mom and Senior went upstairs to their room, instructing Odell and I to wash dishes. Reluctantly, I stood next to him drying off the dishes and putting them into the drying rack. To tune him out I blared music through my headphones. I grabbed a wet dish from his hands and wiped it. "You're an asshole." I blurt suddenly, taking my right earphone out my ear.

"And?" He stated nonchalantly. "You don't see me pointing out you're a bitch all the time."

"That's a lie." I retort, mugging him closely. "You take any chance you can get to call me a bitch."

"Okay so why you buzzing in my ear all of a sudden, shoo fly." He flicked soap suds in my face and laughed. "I was happy standing here acting like you didn't exist. Then you had to open your mouth and ruin it."

"Why are you so rude?" I took the last dish and slammed it in the rack, storming off upstairs. "This year can't go by any quicker." I mutter, stuffing my face in my pillows and opting to take a quick nap instead of doing homework.