Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I can feel someone's breathing near my neck, it's kind of weird 'coz I don't remember having someone else sleeping in my bed, so I slowly opened my eyes feeling disoriented. 

When I turned around, I saw Vince. I closed my eyes again hoping against hope that this is only a fruit of my endless imagination of him then I opened my eyes and almost leapt out of bed when reality dawned on me. Last night's event came rushing on my mind.

Oh, no!

I tried my best not to wake him up as I gingerly removed his hand from my waist. I flushed at the thought that I am lying here naked with my best friend.

What have I done?

I got out of bed and picked up my clothes as I found it scattered around the floor. I immediately put those on and tiptoed towards the door. I am silently praying that he won't wake up because I don't know if I can face him after what happened. Luckily, I got out of his flat unnoticed. I instantly ride on a cab and went directly to our house.

I've decided to get away so I told my mom that I'll be staying in our resort. Gladly, she didn't ask why. I told my mom not to tell Vince my whereabouts. She just called the resort to let them know that I'm arriving there soon. I said goodbye to my mom and went on my way. I stayed there for two weeks, and then I met Joe, my manager and the rest is history.

...

As Vince entered the pent house of the hotel, he can't help to think about what happened before. He's been everywhere to search for Eunice. Tonight could have been his chance to talk about it, but he knew her so well and he knows she's still not ready. So he just let her go this time, but he will make sure that this is not going to be the last time for the both of them that's why he made the quest. What could have happened if he had found her back then? Scenes of that night came back to mind.

Vince woke up when he heard his phone rang. His head hurt from a hangover the other night. He reached out on his bedside table to get his phone when he realized that it was not there. He leaned over when he saw his clothes on the floor.

Damn! I remember now. Where is she?

He picked up his pants and got his phone inside the pocket, it's his mom. As he answered it, he looked on his bed and saw a brownish stain on the cover. Evidence that he was with Eunice last night. 

"Mom, yes. Don't worry about me. I'll be there in an hour."

He finished the call and put on his pants and grabbed a new shirt on his clothes drawer as he heads out to the door. He needs to talk to Eunice; she's probably shocked right now. And possibly mad at him. He rode on his car and went on his way to her house. When he arrived, he saw Eunice' mom tending her flowers in the garden.  

"Vince!" She called and stood up to meet him. 

"Aunt Claire, where is she?" He asked her. 

"Oh, she didn't tell me where she's heading. She just got her luggage and went out without telling me. Why? Did you two fight?" He can hear the curiosity in her voice.

Vince couldn't find the right words to say. Could he tell her that something happened between him and Eunice? He doesn't want to worry her so he told her that he just missed her out last night at the ball. 

"Okay, have you eaten?" Aunt Claire is just like his mom. They're both thoughtful. 

"Thanks, but I'll just eat at the house, mom is waiting for me."

Vince said his goodbye and went inside his car and drove across the street to reach their house. He's thinking where the hell she could be at this time. He parked his car in the garage and saw his mom standing at the porch. He climbed out of the car and went to her. 

"Vince, I've been worried about you last night." She said as he bent down to kiss her cheek. 

"I just spent the night at my pad, Mom." He told her. He can't stay long and he needs to find Eunice. He went straight to his room and searched for his jacket that he left the day before, he's planning to look for her today. They need to talk. He knew this is not going to be easy for the both of them 'coz they are friends, best of friends at that. And he's not really sure if she will be able to forgive him. He now remembered clearly what happened last night. All he knew was that he badly needed and wanted her. A strong feeling he never thought he could feel towards his best friend. And because of that, he knew that things between them would never be the same again.  

"Hey, son! Are you leaving already? Have you had your breakfast?" His mom asks as he walked to the door. 

"I'm fine, mom. I'll just grab some food on the way. I need to find Eunice." He answered her. Wondering where to start on finding her. 

He went to Mia's apartment and asked if she knows where Eunice could be, and didn't get a positive answer. So he tried to look for her other friends and just the same, they didn't know where she is.

He's now starting to think if Aunt Claire is not hiding her from him. He's been calling her since this morning but her phone is just out of reach. When he passed on a diner, he parked his car and went inside to get himself food and drinks. 

"Vince." He froze when he saw her. It's Amanda, and not just her. She's with someone.

Yeah, right. I didn't think about her until this very moment.

His mind is so occupied that he even forgot to think about this girl and what had just happened in their relationship. Thanks to Eunice. 

"Hi!" He said to her curtly. He's now doubting if he really loved this woman in front of him. Maybe he was just challenged back then. 

"Uhm, this is Clyde." How could I let this girl caused me pain last night? Though I doubt now if it was really pain. I even cried a river for her. But on the brighter side, something beautiful happened because of her. 

She made me realize how foolish I am for not seeing Eunice as a girl. No wonder, she's always jealous when I talked about my best friend. Call it woman instinct, but she knows that I have feelings for Eunice. It's just that I couldn't believe it myself. And what happened last night, it awakened my foolish heart. How could I not realize that I am already in love with my best friend? 

"Oh, glad to meet you Clyde. I have to go. And Amanda, thanks." I smiled at her and walked out of the diner. I really wish them well.