Chapter 47 - Partner for the Yule Ball

-Scarlett POV-

So apparently, Draco still isn't talking to me. I sighed softly when I saw Parkinson giving me a triumphed smile.

"The Yule Ball," I then turned my attention to Snape. "..has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representative of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

The girls side started chattering excitedly, and the boys side started groaning.

Snape then raised his voice. "Silence!" Everyone then quietened down. "The house of Salazar Slytherin has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly 10 centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

He then paused for a while, and looked around until he spotted me. "Scarlett. Come." I stood up and walked towards him, and we demonstrated how to dance.

-Evening-

"I never expected you to do that, Papa. Dance in front of the whole house." I said in his office, and he sighed.

"I'm the only Slytherin house teacher in Hogwarts now. If I don't do it who will? I never should've agreed to this job in the first place.." Snape muttered, and I laughed. "So? Who are you going with?"

"Definitely not Draco. Just looking at how hard Parkinson tries makes me pity her. And our dear Mr Malfoy isn't making any attempt to reject her, so might as well." I shrugged as I flipped through his potion books, and he took the book away from me.

"You are disturbed." He commented, and I shrugged again.

"I don't know. And to be honest if he doesn't care about me why should I care about him? Maybe I'll go alone. Or fake an illness or something." Snape then sighed.

"You're a champion, Scarlett. You cannot absent yourself from the Ball, and you absolutely cannot be seen without a partner." I then groaned.

"I have no one to go with, Papa. You know how the Slytherins treat me in general, and the other house's attitude towards Slytherins. There's Durmstrang, but I don't like any of those muscle brains."

"Why don't you just go with Potter? Or that Weasley?" I then stared at him.

"You want me, a girl, to ask a guy out to ball? Are you serious? And besides, they're both thick heads. They definitely won't think of me."

-Great Hall-

I saw Snape smack Ron's head, and I smiled slightly. After a while, Snape smacked Harry and Ron's head with his book. Hermione then handed up her book to Snape, and I closed mine too.

"Scarlett, can I, uh, speak to you for a while?" I turned, and saw that Draco was standing beside me.

"Do you have something to say to me, Malfoy?" I got up with my book and walked towards Snape, and he followed.

"Yea.. I wanted to ask you to the ball.." I gave Snape my book, and he looked at us, interested.

"Oh really? I thought you had already asked Parkinson. Perhaps she refused so you came to me as a second option?" I saw Snape hide a smile, and I walked back to pack my things. Draco then grabbed my arm.

"Look, Scarlett. It's not what you think. Me and Parkinson-" I then blasted him backwards, and he flew towards Snape. Snape caught him by the collar and placed him back on the ground.

"Detention, Scarlett, tonight in my office."

"Yes, Professor." I nodded, before turning to Draco. "And Malfoy, you might wanna check your arm. I have annulled the conditions. You can take it as I don't want to commit murder in school."

"What was that all about?" Hermione asked when I exited the Great Hall. "I was waiting for you." She admitted after I gave her a look.

"Mr Malfoy has gone against the conditions of the Vow. So, in order to stop Narcissa from breathing down my neck when he dies, I have to annul it. Narcissa is his mother, by the way."

"You can annul the Vow?!" Hermione hissed, and pulled me to one side.

"I can make them, annul them, but I cannot change the terms. Man can only cheat God to a certain extent." I then paused for a while before continuing. "At least you're going to the ball with Krum. I have no one to go with, by the looks of it."

"But-" I then tutted.

"Do you think I would want to go with someone who only thought of you as a last resort? Besides, I think they're already frantically searching for me now." Hermione then smiled sheepishly.

"Right.. But you have to go with someone, Scarlett." I then sighed.

"I already have someone in mind."

"Well, who is it?" I then grinned.

"I don't remember the rules stating that a student can't go with a professor."

"You're mad." Hermione finally said after getting over the initial shock. "You mean you're going to go with Professor Snape?!"

I then shrugged. "Why not? He's my father. And you know I don't give a rat's ass about those rumours. I find them entertaining. Did you hear about the one that says I'm Dumbledore's daughter?"

Hermione then burst out laughing. "Yeah, I've heard about that one. It's ridiculous. I mean, Dumbledore's old enough to be our grandfather."

-Detention-

"Do you really have to blast Draco?" Snape raised an eyebrow when I walked into his office, and I grinned.

"Yeah. His attitude is annoying, and he grabbed me. You know I don't like to be touched. So, what are we doing?"

"Wolfsbane Potion." Snape simply said, and I nodded.

"For Mr Lupin, is it?" He then gave me a look, and I raised my hand. "Okay, I won't ask. Anyway, I have a plan for the ball."

"What is it?" Snape said as he started to add ingredients into the cauldron.

"I was.. uh.. thinking that you can take me there, Papa." His hand shook, and I grabbed the wolfsbane before they dropped into the cauldron. "Whoa. What's with the reaction?"

"You're a student. I'm a professor." Snape said, and I took over the potion.

"So? I don't remember the rules saying that a professor can't take a student to ball, or the other way around. And.. And.. If you don't take me to the ball I'm going to ask Hagrid later." I said, and Snape sighed after a while.

"If you put it this way.. It seems like I don't have a choice.." I then grinned and hugged him.

"I knew you'll agree, Papa!" I squealed, and he shook his head, smiling slightly.