Chapter 1: Like Mother, Like Uncle

Ethan's POV

I woke up early in the morning. I expect this day to start good and nice hoping there'd be no errands or what so ever.

"Oh, breakfast." I said after seeing a pancake on the table.

"Back off from that pancake, that's mine." Uncle Sam said.
He seemed to treasure that pancake so much.

I just ignored him and went straight to the refrigerator. Luckily, I found something to eat in there. It looks like our uncle had a rough start of his day.

Uncle Sam left the kitchen and went to his room. I went to the table and started eating but all of a sudden, uncle called on me. I don't know why but I'm just gonna go to him.

"Ethan! Will you come over here?" Uncle Sam said.

"Why uncle? Do you need anything?" I asked. I really have a feeling that he's gonna give me tasks to do.

"Do you mind cleaning the living room? I left a lot of mess there after having a TV marathon." Uncle Sam said.

"What else?" I asked.

"Good thing you asked me. I want you to make signs and arrow shapes using these pieces of wood. It will be used for directing more customers to the Mystery Shack. I want you to put it on the trees in the spooky part of the forest." Uncle Sam said.

"What? Seriously? You expect me to do that? Cleaning the living room is fine with me but whenever I'm in spooky place, I feel that I'm being watched." I complained angrily.

"Go now and start doing your chores!" Uncle Sam shouted.

"Okay fine but, promise me I'll have a reward." I agreed but I requested for a reward. A real smart decision.

I went to the living room. It was absolutely shocking after seeing a lot of mess in there. Dirt, dust, popcorn leftovers, spills of soda and juice, and most annoying is the chewing gum stuck on the carpet.

I started with the popcorn leftovers because it's pretty easy and next is cleaning up the dirt and dust. Then, the spills and lastly, the stuck chewing gums. I removed it with the use of oil. Finally, I'm done. It took me half an hour to finish cleaning the living room. Suddenly, Dawn was already awake.

"Hi Ethan! What are you doing?" Dawn said in a loud voice.

"Well I just finished cleaning the living room which Uncle Sam left so dirty last night. I don't know why he gave me an errand this early but he seems to have something that bothers him so much." I said.

"Just a day after meeting us? And now he's like this? That's totally rude." Dawn said.

"What did you just say? About me?" Uncle Sam asked as he heard Dawn saying something about him.

"Um, nothing." Dawn answered pretending she's not talking about him.

"Alright, just continue doing your chores. If you want, you could help your brother so that you'll be able to finish your tasks earlier." Uncle Sam said.

"Phew! That was a close one." Dawn said in relief.

Dawn and I went to the back of the Mystery Shack and started carving the pieces of wood into signs and arrow shapes. Then, we painted lots of engaging words so that we can attract more customers.

"Are you finish with those errands?" Uncle Sam asked.

"Of course we are. Dawn helped me in doing the chores. So what's our reward?" I answered.

"Your reward will be taking a break and to get one item from the gift shop which will be later if ever I got some extra inventory. I'm just gonna check if I can give you more errands to do." Uncle Sam said.

And so we watched our favorite channel in television. I went outside to take a break and have some fresh air. Then, I went to the place where we put the signs we made to check if we placed enough signs and if we placed it correctly but suddenly, I heard some screeching. I was so terrified so I went back to the Mystery Shack running.

"Where have you been? You just missed the most hilarious part of the comedy show. It was so funny when the motocross rider failed to do his stunt and fell into a mud pit." Dawn chuckled.

"Well I just took a break outside and had some fresh air then I went to the place where we put the signs but suddenly I heard some screeching. Then I went back here." I said while having a hard time to breathe.

"Good news, you don't have to do more errands so you can enjoy the rest of your day." Uncle Sam said.

We were enjoying the rest of our day and suddenly our uncle interrupted it.

"I'm just gonna tell you that you forgot to put up this last sign to the spooky part of the forest. Paint the most engaging word or phrase on this." Uncle Sam said.

I grabbed the sign from him and waited for him to go away. That errand can wait and there's no way he's gonna interrupt me again. I just continued to enjoy my day and suddenly, it's already dawn. I decided to put the sign in the spooky part of the forest.

"Auugh! Wait for me in the attic. I'm just gonna put up this sign. Time is real fast." I yawned.

"Okay. Good luck!" Dawn giggled.

I went to the spooky part of the forest and started to quiver because of the darkness and fogginess. I hammered the nail on the tree and surprisingly heard a clanging sound. A wood is not supposed to sound like that so I started to wonder.

Clanging sounds are supposed to come from metals. That's really suspicious. What could that possibly mean?