Chapter One - Prologue

Author's Notes: I hope you will like this story. It is, in a way, a big risk as it is not centered around any of the cannon characters and it is not set in Britain. However, I hope you will give it a chance. This story is set after Harry Potter and the Ring of Power. You do not have to read RoP prior to reading this one.

I would like to give a special thanks to my beta Arpad Hrunta for his hard work and patience with me.

This story is completely written and contains 15 chapters total.

I hand write all my stories so if you fancy copying it and claiming it as your own, be prepared for a fierce fight!

Oh! And let's not forget that I do not own Harry Potter and the Potterverse. It is all property of JK Rowling. However, I do own the original characters in this story and the Canadian setting.

I hope you will enjoy it, even if you don't see much of your favourite cannon characters... but of course, who can leave Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny out of any stories? :p

This story is set in Quebec, Canada, where there are a lot of French speaking people. Dialogues in italic are meant to be in French. 

Monday September 1, 1997

Eleven year old Geneviève Hudon, known as Genna to her friends, was unlike most other little girls: she was a witch. About a month ago, she had received the long-awaited letter from St. Leandre School of Witchcraft inviting her to join its student body. So, instead of going to the Muggle Secondary school, she was, with some of her friends from elementary school, boarding the train for northern Quebec where St. Leandre was hidden.

St. Leandre was one of the most reputable witchcraft school in the north-eastern region of North America and was often compared to the reputable Salem Witches' Institute in Massachusetts. It accepted all students from the Provinces of Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland, Ontario, and any other interested students throughout Canada and the northern United States. Most French-speaking wizarding families throughout the continent wanted their children to attend St. Leandre and, from what Genna had heard, St. Leandre had never refused a student. It had even accepted students from as far as Louisiana.

St. Leandre was, in all practical purposes, an institution in itself, and world-renowned at that, and Genna was happily following in her family's footsteps by being invited to attend as well.

Genna had spent most of her childhood in the village of Saint-Leon, a small village in the Lac Saint-Jean region of the Province of Quebec. The French-speaking village was mostly inhabited by wizard families with a few Muggle families. In fact, over half of the twenty students who finished their sixth grade of elementary school with Genna were following her to St. Leandre, including her best friend, Audrey Perron.

"Daddy, do you think mom is looking at me right now?" she asked her father sadly.

Genna's mother had passed away from cancer at the end of the previous school year. Genna had loved her mother dearly. Ever since she had shown signs of being a witch, her mother, who had not developed the ability and who was considered a Squib, had began to read her the "History of St. Leandre". Genna had been grateful as she had now a basic knowledge of the school and of what to expect when she arrived.

"Of course she is, my love. Go on now, you have to get in the train," said her father.

"But Audrey? Where is she?" asked Genna, inquiring after her best friend.