()chapter three()

Mae went home with a new book on her shelf. Her mom, Lindsey was cleaning the house and saw Mae enter.

" Hey sweetie," she said gently kissing her on the forehead. Why was her mom busily cleaning?

" Dad's coming?" Mae said.

Her mom nodded and bit her lip. Mae's mom and father divorced last year. Her mother struggled to keep the family together. Mae hugged her mother and asked,

" Can I do anything?"

" In fact," she said, handing Mae a list, "You can."

It was a shopping list. 

" Dinner tonight," Lindsey said. Her father, John just married a woman named Diamond. 

" Diamond is her name?" Mae asked laughing.

Her mother laughed too. It was forced. Mae knew her mom was heartbroken. Her father was not in love with Lindsey anymore. 

" Just go to the supermarket and purchase these things," Lindsey said, giving Mae a crisp fifty dollar bill.

-----

Stop and Shop was the worst place on earth in Mae's opinion. The books were dinky, the meat nauseated her, and from being a vegetarian, and kids screaming and thrashing made her wanna curl up in a ball. But this was for her mom. Looking at the list, Mae saw she needed cake mix. Walking toward the isle with squeaky red converse, she searched until she found the right brand.

" Can't we get blue icing?" a teenager said looking longingly at the dye.

" Percy, what is wrong with you?" a girl said rolling her eyes.

Mae turned to see a black hair teen with a curly blond girl as well. Her heart exploded. No no of course not! This was not Percy and Annabeth! They just really looked like it...

" Hey!" Mae said walking toward them. She had an idea. If they were really demigods, they would fall for it.

" Guys.. I have been looking for you," she said.

Annabeth raised an eyebrow.

" Im ma- Julie," she finished lamely, thinking of her best friend.

" I am-" she whispered to them softly.

" A demigod," she finished urging the laugh.

Percy and Annabeth gasped.

" What? Why are you looking for us?"

Mae suddenly stopped the role-playing. She was too good. 

" Come with me," Mae said bringing them outside toward the shady corner.

" My name is Mae," she said confessing. 

" I read your book," she said showing them the book she had in her purse.

Percy Jackson And The Lighting Thief

" But-but we-we" Annabeth said staring wide eyed at the book.

" Is that me on the cover page? Neat," Percy said.

" How the Hades is this happening?" Annabeth said giving a warning look at Percy.

I sucked in my breath.

" You- you guys are not real," Mae said looking at them.

Percy lightly touched Mae on the shoulder.

" I think we are," he said rolling his eyes.

" But you guys, I read your whole life!" Mae said. "You have to be fake!" Mae cried sitting on the concrete.

Annabeth looked down on Mae. She had her hands on her face and was silent. 

" First Harry, Hermonie, now Percy and Annabeth?" she whispered.

Harry and Hermonie were running toward her, wands not hidden.

" We don't know who you are, but we-"

" Who is this?" Percy asked Mae. Mae basically chocked. There- there was the four of them looking at her with interest and confusion. Hermonie was studying Annabeth and was holding hands with WAIT! Ron. Harry was not with Ginny, but he was waiting. Percy and Annabeth waited. 

Waiting.

" I-just-!" Mae suddenly ran out of there. As fast as her legs could carry her.

She drove in her jeep and quickly entered her house. Her mom looked at her.

" Where's the food?" Mae lay on the couch, and with a pause she asked,

" How about pizza?"

------------

Dressing up for her father and Diamond was hard. She sadly took of her converse and slipped on her black flats she never would wear. Her hair cascaded down, and she wore a light blue dress that was to scratchy. Her mom looked at her and smiling, she said,

" Open the door,"

She obliged and there was her dad in a fresh suit holding Diamond's hand. Diamond was something. Her hair was huge, and her lips were close to Miranda Sings.

" Hello darling!" Diamond gushed in a high voice.  Mae's dad looked at her mom and briskly said, 

" Hello Lindsey."

" Hello John,"

they were stiff and formal. Mae sat down next to her mom. The pizza was on each plate.

" Weren't we having real food?" Diamond said.

Mae felt her cheeks go red. 

" Well, this is what we are having." Lindsey said in a hint of the conversation is over voice. Mae looked at her mother, but she would not look back.

Eating the pizza, Diamond gushed over her trip to Italy.

" Divine, DIVINE!" she giggled so loud, it made Mae flinch. Just sitting there, she felt lonely. Escaping the table, she closed her door and listened to 5SOS. She chose Broken Home. Because that was how she felt.

" Hey mom hey dad when did you end, when did you lose your happiness., I'm here alone inside of this broken home," sang Micheal. 

She was broken.