Chapter 5

I wake up to someone yelling my name. I shoot out of bed and look to the person. I see Cronus staring at me and shaking me vigorously, trying to get my attention.
"What the hell, Cronus? How did you get in here?" I ask him, but he has no interest in my questions.
"The king," Cronus says while panting. He must have sprinted here.
"What about the king?" I asked getting out of bed.
"He...he wants you," Cronus growls.
"What?" I ask, still shaking off the grogginess.
"He says he killed his mistresses and he is bored." I look at him, waiting for him to explain further. "He wants me to bring you to him as soon as possible. At any cost."
"No," I say, backing away from him. "I will not become the King's new toy."
"I won't let him have you. I promise. Somehow I'll get you out of here." He paces back and forth. "I know, we will use the search for the princess as a distraction and escape."
"The princess?" I ask the girl I swore to give my life to protect. "She's alive?"
"Yes. The princess is locked away in a tower in the north. The king is sending the Knights to rescue her. Whoever returns her gets to marry her. We are to head out on three days, well those who are brave enough to try. Many will not risk their lives for her."
"I must go save her," I say and start to gather my things.
"No, we have to get you out of here. Get you away from the king." Cronus pleads, but my mind's already made up.
"No, I'm going to save Clara. And no one is standing in my way." I get my cloak and put all my weapons in their place.
Cronus blocks the exit. I try to push past him, but he stands his ground.
"And what am I to tell the king, of what has happened to you? I was going to help you escape. But this is just insane." He barks.
"Just tell him you killed me," I say
"But he said to bring you no matter what." He replied.
"Then say that I tried to kill you and you were only protecting yourself."
"Well, he would never believe that lie."
"What if it wasn't a lie?" I say a devilish smirk makes its way to my lips.
Cronus' eyebrows raise in confusion. But before he can react, I stab my dagger into his shoulder. He cries out in pain and falls to the ground, holding his arm. I lean down to his ear.
"I'm sorry. But I will not hesitate to kill anyone who gets in my way." I start to walk away. "The wound will heal... but I can say the same for your pride."
Then I head down the stairs, leaving the only person who cares about me behind, wounded and betrayed.
I leave a letter on Athena beside, telling her I am going on a hunt and that I'll be back as soon as I can. I took one more look at her. She is in a peaceful slumber. I will miss her dearly.
I leave the tavern and head to the forest. I decide to pull my hair back into a tight bun and tie it off. I use some medical bandage and wrap it around my chest, under my shirt, to give myself the appearance of being flat.
I figured it would be better to disguise myself because the king wants me and I also just stabbed a knight. I thought there was a big bounty for me before... But now. I am probably the most wanted criminal in the entire kingdom.
I thought the kingdom would be told to look for a girl with pale hair. But I have disguised myself as a man. I am an above average height for a girl do it I'll be easy to blend in.
I fill my canteen with water. And start to head out in the north. I have to save Clara. I swore to give her my life. I'm ready to save my princess.