Chapter [35]

[Charlotte Kendall]

I was no where near exhausted unlike the boys. Ashton looked like he was going to barf from running through the jungle so fast. However, we stopped running at this one mark. Michael was leading us and I was glad that everyone trusted his side of the story more than anyone else. I genuinely believed that Michael was nothing but good, he wanted off this island more than any of us without a doubt.

All four of us huddled between two giant tree trunks that grew up and out of sight, "This is where we realized we lost him." Michael puffed out a weak breath.

I placed my hands on my hips and looked around. I didn't recognize any of this terrain so I was as curious as to why they made it out this far. For days now they have claimed to of been looking for Benson but Benson left the group all the way on the other side of us before. What else would be out in this direction that they could have been looking for?

Michael walked between the trees and disappeared to the left real fast before coming back and pointing behind his head, "North is that way, that's where Tyson went."

"Alright then, let's stop wasting time," Ashton grumbled under his breath before heading off and down the direction Michael pointed out. As he passed, Michael grabbed his sweater's sleeve and tugged him back to face him gently. Ashton's eyes were something angry when Michael handled him like that, making the rest of the air nervous.

"I told you I knew a faster route." Michael reminded Ashton calmly.

"Yes, and you also said that there was something else on that route." Ashton snapped, "Which one would I prefer, a route faster but more dangerous for the rest of us, " He held a palm up to the air before balancing the other palm up to imitate a scale, "Or the route Tyson took where, if we are fast enough, we can catch up to his slow ass." He never looked at Brandon and I for support. I knew Michael wouldn't change his mind for that matter. Ashton was wrong, there was no way we could catch up to Tyson this far behind.

After several seconds of intense stares and dead silence, Brandon stepped up to the plate and crossed his arms gently, "Um this dangerous something. . . did it happen to be a creature?" He asked looking towards Michael for the answers precisely.

Michael immediately backed down from Ashton and walked closer to Brandon. I saw Ashton roll his eyes and I just shook my head, laughing at his behavior silently.

"Yes, but it's not just a creature. . ." Michael interrupted and both Ashton and I looked up at him with strange expressions.

"What are you guys talking about? Brandon what did you see?" I ask nervously.

Brandon shook his head quickly before looked down at me beside him, "We don't know exactly- You and Ashton weren't there yet but it was the night. . . the night Emma fell." I swallowed tightly but let the feelings slide, Emma was safe now. . . she was healthy. "It was like-"

"A wild cat." Michael stated, finishing off Brandon's sentence. He nodded quickly at Michael and opened his mouth again to speak but Michael cut him off again by holding up his bare arm and shining the three scratches up at all of us, "I've encountered it several times before. Two months ago, way before any of you arrived I crossed paths with her again."

"Her?" Ashton blinked at Michael's scars but Michael wasn't fazed either.

"Yeah, that's when I realized the cat was pregnant and more viscous than before. Most wild animals are dangerous because they are afraid for their lives, this girl. . . well she had to protect more than just her life when I showed up." He explained.

"So you didn't want to kill it." I mumble out loud and Michael shook his head.

"I was never going to kill her, that's not who I am."