Chapter Three: Submissive/Free

The next few days pass practically without incident. We go to daily Bible study, taught by the priest of our village. However, the day before we leave, Father catches me talking to the daughter of our neighbors, who are Jews.

   When he spots me, he comes over and says oh-so-calmly, "Maura, we need to speak." 

  Once we're inside the house, though, he explodes.

   He starts yelling, "They are Jews. They are heretics and non-believers. They are going to try to convert you to their Judaism!" Then he slaps me clear across the face. I note the way he says Judaism as if it's a dirty word, as if just saying it will make him contract some awful disease.  The rest of the day, I wonder what it's like to be an outcast just because you practice a different faith.

    The next day, we leave for our pilgrimage. We wake in the early morning, and pack up the remaining food from my brothers' and Father's hunting trip last week. We pack up all the belongings we'll need in burlap sacks.  Then we meet Desmond and his family. Desmond sits and glares at me from beneath his shaggy, dark hair. He examines me appraisingly, his gaze intense and angry, making me feel uncomfortable. I shift from foot to foot.

    He grunts and says, "I can't believe I have to marry you. Out of all the girls, you. You irritating, cranky scullion."

 Despite his insults, I smirk. I think about how happy he would be if he knew he won't have to marry me. Then I remember I have to act normal, so as not to arouse any suspicion. 

   So I reply, "First of all, I'm not exactly insulted that a person who has a reputation for being cranky and surly is calling me irritating and cranky. Quite frankly, it amuses me. Second of all, I'm not too thrilled to have to marry you either. I can barely stand being near you for five minutes, let alone being with you for the rest of my life."

 His practically stone eyes harden. "Don't you dare insult me. Don't forget, I'll be your husband. I'll be your master. I will rule you, dominate you."

 I narrow my eyes at him. "You will not be my master." Just to prove my point, to prove how free I am, I take off my kerchief and unpin my hair. It falls down my back. All I see is a blur of gold fall down my back.

  My father comes stomping over, yelling at me and telling me how immodest I am. Then he slaps me and pushes me. I stumble right in to Desmond, who turns and smirks. Then he says, "Won't be your master? I doubt that."

 We walk for the rest of the day, both Desmond and me grumbling and complaining. We keep trading insults back and forth, as easily as the village women trade recipes. We walk and walk. At nightfall, we find an inn to stay in. We all get one room. Desmond's young siblings sleep in the rickety bed, and the rest of us sleep on the floor. We eat some of the food, and slowly, everyone drifts off to sleep. I'm just falling asleep when someone taps me on the shoulder.

A/N: Hi guys. I know there are people on here who will start calling me racist because of Maura's father's comments about Jews in the beginning of this chapter. Please note that I myself am Jewish and that no racism was intended. I wanted to show that in the era where this story takes place, all other religions besides Catholicism were persecuted. So, just a disclaimer that no insult or harm was intended.