Prefrence

"Mother?"

All is still, no sound. Just my mom lying down on a hospital bed.

I close the door behind, smiling at my dad apologetically. I sit down beside Mom and hold her frozen hands in mine.

11:55.

"Mom?" I feel hot tears rush down on my face. "I know you're listening, so I would like to say a few words before you.."

Her eyes were opened wide, looking at the ceiling. Her once beautiful face was now thin, pale, and wrinkly. Even her charming blue eyes were lifeless, showing no hint of spark.

I quickly checked the heart monitor; her heart was beating a thousand miles. This was it.

"Before I say anything, I would like to say sorry," my voice cracked, "Sorry for everything I did that made you sad. You've held my hand through all these years, even though every minute of your life after I was born had been pure hell."

I wiped my face with my right hand, and held onto her hand again. "Not am I only sorry, but I am thankful that you risked your life for me," 11:59 pm.

"Mother, you will always be in my heart, even though you won't be here right in front of my eyes. I learned to love, respect, and love-"

10.

" more because of you. I know I was- and am- such a messed up child, but that's because I'm me. And I love you."

6.

"I learned to be myself the hard way, mother. What am I going to do when you're not here? Where will I go? Who will look after me? I need you with every piece of my life. Without you, a piece of my heart will disappear. I love-"

1.

Beep.

More tears rushed by, as my heart skipped a million beats. So this was it. This was how it would end.

"Happy New Year, Mother, and Rest In Paradise."

I held her as close as possible, her sweat filling in my nose. I cried and cried and cried even more, until Dad walked in and took me away.

And that is how my mother died. With me holding on to her in my arms. With me begging her not to go. But she left anyways.