Chapter Ten: I Meet Another New Unfriendly Person

Penelope

After explaining everything that happened earlier, I felt myself pushing out all my anger, and now my chest was worry-free. Well, sort of.

Stella's reaction was priceless.

It was what my mom would've reacted like.

Stella openly listened and wiped the little tears that were escaping my eyes and said, "Honey, it's going to be alright."

Stella is so sweet, and just a really caring mother for Emmett, but what got me mad was when she said, "You don't deserve to be with him."

What was that supposed to even mean? I didn't deserve to be with Alexander? I mean, I think I did everything I could to come this far and be the best supporting friend I always was.. Right? What did I miss?

I tried to play it cool, and even agree a bit, but deep inside, I couldn't feel the vibes.

"Mom, I'm going out to Jason's." Emmett called out as he ran downstairs, holding his car keys in his hands.

Stella crossed her arms over her chest as she gave him the death look. "While there's a blizzard?" She waved towards the giant window behind her kitchen.

"I haven't seen him for as long as I can remember! Common!" Emmett rolled his eyes as he gripped onto his car keys even harder.

"Why don't you walk over there? He only lives 10 minutes away. I don't trust you with the car."

"But-"

"Emmett, in this kind of weather, taking the car is highly unacceptable. Oh- and take Penelope with you."

I looked over at Stella as I raised my eyebrows. She just winked and gave me a huge grin. Emmett raised his eyebrows as well. "Sure." He said.

"Go on, love. You won't have anything to do here, anyways." Stella smiled as I got up from the kitchen chair. "Okay." I said, sounding unsure.

I went upstairs to get ready. I pulled on my boots and my winter jacket, and put on these thick black mittens that Stella had lent me. After saying goodbye to Stella, Emmett and I walked out the door.

As soon as I walked outside, I almost turned back and ran inside. The thick snowflakes hit my face so hard, it felt as if my skin on my face was no longer there. I grunted.

"I don't know why you would go out in this weather." I spit out the snowflakes that were now inside my mouth. Emmett raised his thick eyebrows once again.

"I missed my friends." He shrugged as I looked over at him, and rolled my eyes.

"Is Jason your best friend?" I asked.

"He now is." Emmett looked forward clearly.

"Who was your other best friend?" I asked once more. Why was I even asking these questions?

I swear to to God I saw a hint of red cover the top of his cheeks. But then again, it could be because of the cold.

"Someone," Emmett now mumbled. "She was really pretty and the bestest friend but then she moved away."

"Why'd she move away?" I cleared out my vision, to see a road filled with ice and snow which made a slippery glow in the street.

"One of her relatives died, so she had to attend a funeral in Hilroyd. Her dad decided to live there."

"I live there! What's her name? I must know her." I jumped.

Emmett hesitated for a few seconds then tilted his head up. "This is Jason's place." He said then stepped up on the staircase leading to the most gorgeous house on the street.

It was covered with black and white bricks, and it had the largest windows decorated with matte purple shade. I must be crazy, but this house looked familiar.

Emmett knocked on the black door, which got opened by a mother in her mid-thirties. "Oh hello Emmett!" She said, tossing her orange hair back. "Come on in!" She said paying no attention to me. I parted my lips to a straight thin line.

"This is Penelope, by the way." Emmett nudged me with his shoulder as I smiled at him, in the politest way as possible, trying not to show my killer face when he nudged me.

"Oh, hello." The lady's smile immediately turned to a frown. "Is this your girlfriend?" She asked as I widened my eyes.

"No, m'am, just.. friends." I quickly spoke as she raised her eyebrows. "Well, come on in Emmett," she gave him a polite smile then looked at me, her smile disappearing and a frown taking in place, "and Penelope."

We both walked in, and the smell of sweet lavender filled in my nose. I turned right and almost fainted when I saw the living room.

A matte black couch was placed in a corner, with a glass tea table in front of it. There were beautiful throw pillows in the corners of the couch, with pearls decorated on it.

Hung on the walls were two canvases painted with a purple sunset. Then there were fake plants, and a huge built in TV in the wall. This was like an any girl's dream house.

As I looked around the brilliant room, footsteps followed down the long stairwell. I turned my head and saw who I assumed was Jason.

He had dark hair and tan skin, totally unlike his mother's who had the palest skin and orange hair. The only thing the same about the two mother and son was their eyes- green.

"Hey Emmett, come upstairs." He said, stopping in the middle of the stairwell, his eyes glued to his phone.

"Wait up!" Emmett called as Jason headed back upstairs. Finally, he lifted his eyes off his phone and looked up. "This is Penelope."

Jason set his green eyes at me, and shrugged.

"Hi." I said as I smiled at him. The corners or his lips tugged upwards as a smile. I could tell he wasn't trying.

"Hey." He said then walked upstairs, fluffing his dark hair in the way. Did every boy fluff their hair when they met a new person?

I shot a look at Emmett, my face showing that I was clearly not dazzled, and Emmett returned an apologetic smile.

I tugged off my boots and jacket grumpily, and followed Emmett up the graceful black stairs.

I could already tell that this was going to be a very long day.