Scene 3: Hung Up

Police Chief Adam Parker walked up to Officer Logan Schultz, whom had just announced that the body was a victim of Chaucer.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" Chief Parker half-whispered, pulling Schultz aside.

"The public can certainly hear past the windows!"

"I'm keeping my fellow officers of the crown informed, sir. No need to throw a hissy fit." Officer Schultz replied.

Chief Parker inched closer to Schultz while remaining discreet in the now bustling Pub. His eyebrows flared as his mustache seemed to follow, all the while making eye contact with the Officer only just taller than him."

"In case you haven't noticed;" Chief Parker began.

"This is a murder investigation, not a stage. I can't have you announcing to my people without checking to see if that tiny piece of paper was actually from Chaucer, or simply something to throw us off guard on who the killer actually is!"

"In case you can't remember, Chief, You found one of those same pages on a Daniel Greene not very long ago. All of a sudden it's broadcast to the world on a radio program I heard this morning." Schultz retorted.

"Listen Schultz. This is not a game of 'Monkey See, Monkey Do'. I didn't even want your people here. But it just so happened that my people were under short supply, and murder seems to be in your jurisdiction. But this is my town. I am the Chief. You might be of high status, Officer Schultz, But while you are in this town you are to report to me and respect me as your current authority. Is that clear?"

As Chief Parker said those words, he burned them into the back of Schultz's mind with only his eyes. Schultz followed up with only a "Yes sir.", unsure of what he might say that could affect his job with Scotland Yard. Chief Parker watched Schultz for a while more, until Schultz was saved by the bell with the ringing of his cell phone.

"Personal call, Officer? It's not the time to be taking breaks." Parker began.

Schultz checked his phone, an unidentified number peering from the other end. He took a wild shot, responding to his 'Current Authority'."

"You might say so, If the witness I gave my card to is considered a 'Personal Call'."

Chief Parker breathed out, and spoke in a hushed tone before leaving him to his call. "Don't forget what I said, Schultz."

~~

"Hello?" Answered Officer Logan Schultz.

"Hi, Uh- Officer Schultz. It's me, Julia Broderick, from the pub."

"Is there something you need, Julia?" Schultz responded.

"No-, Well I wanted to tell you- I forgot to say where Sam lived." Julia said.

"Sam?" Schultz questioned.

Julia spoke with a slight nevousness to her voice. "Sam Hapsburg was the bartender that I told you about, who locked up the place? I think you might want to talk to him whenever's possible."

"I can understand he'd might have information, Ms Broderick, but is there something wrong?"

"Yeah, there is. Sam is a quiet guy, usually doesn't talk unless talked too, But he's a loyal worker. I tried calling him a while ago but he hasn't picked up the phone. He always picks up the phone!"

"Ms Broderick, I understand your concern, But I'm sure there is no problem with Sam. If you give me his address, Myself and other investigators will go talk to him. Alright?"

"Yeah, Okay... Uh, He's in the Abode Hotel, Room 43. He's got bad renovation going on in his house so he's spending a few nights there."

"Thank you, Julia. We will notify you if the need arises." Shultz said, finishing the conversation.