Seeing Is Believing

I quietly walked through the door of my apartment and slid my boots off. "Where have you been?" my best friend, Ryan, asked me from the stairs. "Just out...couldn't sleep." I shrugged. "I thought you were gone. You heard the News just like I did." She said, moving my snow covered boots from the doorway. "Just because kids our age are disappearing all over the world doesn't mean im going to." I said, making my way upstairs.

"Just tell me next time, okay?" I nodded and went to my room. She worried too much. I put my pj's on and slept the rest of the night I had left. When I woke up it was just past noon. I trudged downstairs and went to the living room where Ryan was. She laughed at me when I sat down. "Bad dream?" she asked. I could already tell my hair was a wild mess. "Nightmares." "What about?" I shook my head. "Let's not talk about it." She nodded her head and continued to read her book.

The whole house rattled as a huge rumble of thunder sounded. I jumped up and pulled the blanket on the couch over me completely. "I never understood why you're afraid of thunderstorms." Ryan said, still reading. "I don't know either." I said, staying under the blanket until I knew it was 'safe'. "Hey can you go to the store today and get some groceries? I have a list in the kitchen." "Sure, I'll go now."

I got up and put the list by the front door where my keys were and went to my room. I changed into a grey tank top and put a leather jacket on top and some black skinny jeans. I combed through my dark brown wavy hair and applied some light make-up that made my hazel eyes pop. When I got downstairs I put my boots on, put the list in my back pocket, grabbed my keys and left. I skipped around the aisles because I felt like it.

As I was putting food in the kart someone bumped into me. On purpose."Excuse me." I mumbled, still trying to be nice. "Are you Lily King?" he asked. How did he know my name? "Who's asking?" He nodded his head. "I'll take that as a yes." Someone from behind me injected me with something, the needle going straight into the lower side section of my neck and I fell limp in their arms. The man who asked me my name took my phone and took the battery out of it, plus the keys to my car. The rest was a blur as I passed out.

                           *-[NextDay]-*                                                                                                                                                                               

My eyes snapped open to a completely white room. I couldn't place where the door was if there even was one. My hands and feet were strapped down in a chair. I tried sliding them free but it was no use. A part of the wall slid open and the man from the store came through it. "Ah, the canis iupus has awoken." "Canis Iupus? Why did you call me a wolf?" I said.

"Doesn't matter. Sign this." He said putting a pen in my hand and a piece of paper on a clipboard underneath. "What for?" He sighed as if it was going to be as simple as 123 to get me to sign a foreign piece of paper. "It says you will live here for free now, you cannot leave, and must do what is asked of you. This is a school for people like you, you must attended all your classes unless told otherwise."

I shook my head. "And if I don't sign it?" "We kill you." I quickly signed it, wanting to live. "I will show you to your dorm." The straps on my arms and feet opened and I slowly got up, following him. We stopped at room 3B. When I walked in, a girl was already there. She had blond hair just past her shoulders that curled at the ends and the lightest blue eyes I've ever seen. She looked at me and smiled. "Im Valerie, you must be Lily?" I nodded, looking around the room.

There were three beds. One was orange with an Ed Sheeran bed spread with a few posters of him around the bed area. At the foot of the bed was a hope chest with the name 'Valerie' carved into it. The next bed had a dark blue bed spread and a few posters of different animals around it. It had a matching hope chest with the name 'Celeste' on it. A German Shepard lay on the bed, panting. "Is this your dog?" I asked Valerie.