I Believe You.

Wren’s POV

It has been three days that I haven’t gone back to Cameron’s house. Three days since I’ve felt his warm arms around my tiny frame and three days since I haven’t felt his lips on mine. Three days without hearing his raspy voice admit that he loved me.

You’d think I’m doing fine because I’m the one who left, that I’m the one who gave up on the relationship. Truth is I am totally and utterly incapable of feeling any sort of happiness since that day.

It is still surreal to me that someone can actually cheat on the person they claim to be so in love with. Maybe I just didn’t give him a chance to explain himself properly. And I might have not wanted to hear another word he had to say after that blonde bimbo came up in the story, but I wanted to hear what he was going to say that day, now.

I wanted to know if he felt any sort of remorse or guilt after his actions. I just wanted to know why, why he said he loved me more than I could possible imagine and then end up having a child with someone else. Just, why?

I decided to take a long walk that day, to clear my head of any unhealthy thoughts floating around it. I took time to actually appreciate my life and the things in it. I heard the clapping of thunder start to hit and I looked up at the sky. The clouds weren’t the pure white they had been a couple of minutes ago, suddenly, they were a beautiful shade of dark grey. I smiled to myself as I inhaled the smell of freshly cut grass and the smell of gasoline coming from the car that had been pulling out of the driveway.

The littlest of things had made me happy that day, strange yes, but they kept a smile on my face.

I let my eyes fall to the ground and stared at the rough, unpaved sidewalk and continued walking along it. Just as I was about to turn around and head back home I heard a raspy voice call out my name. My smile immediately fell and I felt my heart fall to the pit of my stomach. I continued to walk, acting as If I hadn’t heard anything at all.

“Wren, wait up,” Cam said out of breath, hearing him jog to catch up with me, I thought. I felt his hand wrap around my wrist as he pulled me towards him to stop me from walking.

Finally gaining the courage, I brought my head up to eye level with the boy standing in front of me. My breathing went rigid as I noticed the sadness that filled his green orbs. He was sad.

“Wree,” he breathed out, placing the palm of his hand on my cheek, rubbing the pad of his thumb across it. Closing my eyes, I leaned in to his touch without even realizing but immediately opened my eyes and pulled myself together as I noticed what I had been doing.

“Cameron, you have nothing to say that I want to hear.” I hissed at him, finding myself to be angrier than I had planned on being.

He looked taken aback but recomposed himself to the confident Cam that I knew and… loved.

“I love you, I know you want to hear that, am I right?” he spoke softly, walking closer a little closer to me until our noses brushed against each other, “I love you, and I never stopped. I didn’t cheat on you, at least, my mind didn’t. I never did and I never will. Lucy drugged me Wree. Deep down I know you believe me. You know I wouldn’t do that. You know me. I know you love me and I know you, you wouldn’t just give up on me, hm? That is what you wanted to hear right, the truth?” He said, his voice a little stronger and more demanding.

I looked at him, my mouth ajar. Every weight that had been placed on my weak shoulders had been lifted and far too gone to come back.

A small chuckle escaped my lips as I looked into his hopeful eyes, did he really think I wouldn’t take him back? All I needed was time. But then it clicked,

“But the baby, Cam…” I responded quietly, bowing my head down.

Cam placed my chin between his fingers and lifted my face up so I was able to see the sincerity in his facial expression, “And you believe her? Sweetheart, it’s Lucy we’re talking about,” he said, a weak grin forming on his face.

I just stared at him for about a good minute, not knowing what to believe anymore. Snapping back to reality, I hear him sigh in frustration,

“You know what, I tried, Wree. Don’t say I didn’t,” he growled, ripping his hand from my face and turning his back towards me to walk away.

Just like that, I saw everything flash before my eyes. He’s leaving and I’m just standing here, not budging a single limb in my body. Suddenly, I felt words fly out of my mouth, with my brain’s consent,

“Cameron, wait,” I called, running after him.

I turned his body towards me and grabbed his face between my hands, looking into his tear-filled green orbs. I smiled up at him,

“I believe you, I believe you.” I said quietly, pulling him in for the kiss I had been waiting for, for three days. 

He wrapped his arms around my waist, and squeezed me closer to him. I felt tears fall from my eyes, but this time I didn’t plan on wiping them away; all I thought about was kissing Cameron and that is what I was going to do.

I felt his tongue brush along my bottom lip begging with all he had for an entrance and I granted him access, missing the feeling of the closeness we shared. Feeling him smile into the kiss, I pecked him one last time before pulling away,

“I love you too, Cam,” I smiled up at him and closed my eyes as I felt his arms tighten around my waist and his lips press against my forehead,

“I’m not one of them,” he murmured in my ear, as I recalled the first time he ever said that.