Chapter 5

~We looked at each other a little too long to be just friends~

Why is it that whenever everything seems to go well in my life, fate decides that I've had my momentary pleasure, which stays just for a moment by the way, and now its time for another tragedy to take place. I can actually picture fate sitting on her comfy couch and munching popcorn as she evilly plots out my life's events.

It seemed that today all the oxygen in the world was on leave. My eyes widened and I could feel my heartbeat picking up. I need air.

"June? Are you alright?" I heard Claire asking me and discreetly shaking me, in concern. I simply nodded to her because my mouth refused to let me speak. 

"I uhm," I swallowed and tried to relax. "I'm alright. Yes," I responded while looking at her and nodding my head. "Just feeling a little dizzy, that's it." Claire looked at me hesitantly while narrowing her eyes.

"Someone please bring the lady a glass of water," a gravelly voice spoke from behind me. Oh God no.

"Yeah, I'll get it," Jex answered from behind me and I could hear him running to get the water. He came back and handed me the glass, "June, here." He snaked his arm around my waist and with his  other arm helped me to drink water. 

"Uh Jex? I'm alright. You don't really need to do this." I pulled myself out of his embrace because I was starting to feel uncomfortable. Claire came to my rescue when she pushed Jex a little behind her and came and  stood beside me. I heard a snort and I thought it was Claire but I turned in time to see that it was Taylor. Wow this girl sure held a grudge against the guy. 

Someone cleared their throat and I could have ignored it but it, without any doubt, belonged to someone and I didn't really want to get on the bad side of this someone somehow. I didn't like the idea of making him angry and it seemed that he didn't like that either.

"I guess she's feeling good now. Everyone move aside," he said and turned to me with a cold look in his eyes. He then turned to Jex and glared at him. Wait, why would he glare at him? I thought about it and shrugged it off, when I couldn't think of anything. He started to walk somewhere when he stopped and announced, "I want everyone in front of my cabin in five minutes." With that he stormed off to his cabin, I suppose.

"What was all this? Claire, I don't understand. Explain," I whined and Claire rolled her eyes. She nodded her head and pulled me to a couch. "Sit," she pulled me down with her and dusted some imaginary dust off her dress. I sighed at her mannerisms and waved my hand for her to go on. 

"You obviously don't know anything since you missed most of Mrs. Amelia's announcements. So I'm gonna have to tell you everything from the beginning," she started and I couldn't help but give her a sheepish look.

"So you're all interns over here and will be working here for two months. Everything you do from now, you have to report it to Mr. Callaghan," she stopped for a moment and had a weird look in her eyes. I was confused but shoved it off when she continued, "Basically, he will be like your boss and you have to agree to him if you have to keep the jobs."

"But I don't see Mr. Callaghan anywhere," I craned my neck and looked at my surroundings.

"What? Are you blind June? He was here just a minute ago," she frowned and shook her head.

"What? No, he wasn't. That was-" I stopped mid sentence when realization dawned upon me. He was Mr. Callaghan. No, fates couldn't do this to me.