Mental Breakdown

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: “MENTAL BREAKDOWN”

I open my eyes and hear a steady beeping. Someone is hovering above me. At first my vision is blurry, but soon my eyes focus, but I still don’t recognise the person.

-‘Addie!’ The person says. I know that voice.

-‘Yes?’ I croak out.

-‘She’s awake! She’s awake!’ the person squeaks.

I shake my head, trying to clear up my mind.

-‘How did I get here? What happened?’

-‘Well, you were laughin’ and then suddenly you were coughin’ and then you couldn’t breathe, and then you lost consciousness and then I called an ambulance and now you’re in hospital.’

-‘How long was I unconsciousness?’

-‘Three hours.’

-‘Thanks Dan. You know, for calling an ambulance…’

He smiles at me and grabs my hand. He doctor tells me I can go as nothing seems to be wrong with me. We leave the hospital, and head home. The doctor tells me I ‘need to rest and avoid stressful situations.’ His words, not mine. I flop onto the sofa with my eyes closed.

-‘Do you want a cup o’ tea?’

I nod, my head still buried in my sofa. Danny laughs and I know he’s rolling his eyes. I groan and sit up straight. I turn on the TV and zap through the channels. I end up watching some cook programme teaching me how to cook Spaghetti. Danny re-enters the room with our damping cups.

-‘What time is it?’

-‘It’s 1 AM.’

I nearly choked on my tea.

-‘1 AM!?’ I exclaim.

-‘Hey, you were the one unconsciousness!’ Defends Danny.

I smile and continue watching the programme. It’s quite boring, so I open my dear twitter and see everyone on my TL is going crazy. Everyone thought something serious happened to me, so I decide to tweet to calm them down.

I’m fine guys, thanks for the get well messages :) x

-‘Danny, what actually happened?’

Danny frowns.

-‘Well, one minute you were laughing, the next moment you were lying on the floor coughing up blood.’

-‘I was coughing up blood?’

-‘Yes, the doctor did some test and they’ll have the results within a week, you have to return 10 AM next Sunday.’

-‘Can you come with me please?’ I beg him. Danny nods.

I’m currently sitting in the doctor’s office. The doctor told me about the test he did.

-‘The result is undeniable, miss Fray. I’m very sorry to tell you.’

The words I’ve been dreading all my life. The words I feared. But it was true. It was absolutely true. The doctor described what they were going to do. The medicine that will make me lose all my hair, but I didn’t care. I want to get better.

-‘I think it’s best if you shave it before the treatments begin.’ I nod my head at the doctor, still not able to speak.

Danny and I leave the hospital, both obviously in shock of the news.

-‘I’ll be here for you,’ he promises, ‘I’ll be here for you every second of every day. I’ll help you through this.’

Tears fall down my face, but I look into his eyes in smile. I believed him. Not like I thought he was some magician who could make it go away, but I believed him when he said we were going to get through this.