Pick Me

CHAPTER THREE: “PICK ME”

Three months later I was sitting in a chair with my friend Ray facing me, waiting for my name to be called and audition for The Voice, and boy, I was so nervous! I would go with anyone who turned around, it really didn’t matter, but if all of them turned around, IF, I would definitely pick Jessie.

-‘Are you nervous?’ My Ray asked caring, and placed a hand on my shoulder. I shrugged, I mean, I did practise, but not too much because I don’t believe in over-practising, it will only make you sound like a robot. I decided to sing ‘Settle Down’ by No Doubt, I liked the song, it was my jam, oh yeah. A men who I recognized as Reggie Yates walked over to me and asked me to come with him and have a little interview with him, so the viewers could get to know me better.

-‘You can just go ahead and tell them something about your job, dreams, whatever you want!’ he said and smiled.

-‘Okay, so, my name’s Adele Fray, I’m 24 years old, I’m from London, I work as a producer, so I have loads of experience with music and recording. My dream has always been to become a great singer, and here I am, and I will hopefully prove I am,’ I said and smiled shyly at the camera.

-‘With whom did you work? Who do you want to turn around?’ Some man behind the camera asked.

-‘I worked with many artists, Will.I.Am, The Script, Daley, Justin Bieber, Muse, Example, Caro Emerald, The Kooks, and many, many more,’ I said and smiled at the camera, ‘And I would really like Jessie to turn around.’

-‘Why?’

-‘I think she would be a great coach for me, I love her music personally, and dude, she can SING! I love her as an artist as well as a person, I met her once, she really is nice, so… Turn that chair Jessie!’ I said and smirked at the camera.

I soon found myself at the desk, waiting for a bodyguard to pop up who could lead me backstage. I gave Ray one last hug and followed the body guard to backstage, I looked at the stars. Those are the stairs I have to walk in a few minutes. Surprisingly, I wasn’t nervous; I was excited. This is it, my chance, don’t blow it Adele.

-‘You may go now, good luck!’ the bodyguard said and he gave me a friendly smile.

I walked onto the stage, still not feeling the nerves.

The music started playing.

Get-get-get in line and settle down!

Get in line, and settle down,” I sang and a chair turned, but I didn’t really pay attention as I was focusing on my song and getting the lyrics right.

What’s your twenty?

Where’s your brain?

Checking in to check you out

Concerned about your whereabouts

Copy that

You’re acting strange

So tell me what’s going on

So heavy I bet

I’m fine and nothing’s gonna knock this girl down

I’m hella positive, for real, I’m all good no

I’m fine and nothing’s gonne knick this girl down

It’s kinda complicated, that’s for sure

But you can see it in my eyes, you can read it on my lips